Fuji X100s and Classic Chrome?

I am pretty sure they will continue on this path. There is no reason for me to believe that Fuji will bringt all unique software feature of (for example) the X100T to the remaining 16 X-series cameras. Many new features will be limited to models that are current and sell well (and are supposed to sell well for an extended period of time).

Currently, the X-T1 is Fuji's primary system camera and won't be replaced until sometime next year, so I expect it to receive additional feature upgrades in 2015. I'd also like it to receive the remaining features from the X30/X100T (like better nNatural Live View, EVF auto brightness, DR simulation, exp. comp. in manual mode with Auto-ISO etc.).

Fuji Rumours posted that there will be no Firmware Updates for the X100S

Don't know how much of it is real fact but I'm one of those disappointed X100S owners...

I myself wrote...

===

"Ok we have both sides... The side that is disappointed with Fujifilm for no more Firmware Updates for the X100S and the side that says Fujifilm doesn't have to provide a Firmware for the X100S...

I am a X100S owner and I'm disappointed but I'll suck it up and deal with it...

Though now the key word is "Trust"

What makes Fujifilm from not pulling this again and again on the existing and future models?

I hope this isn't going that way..."

===

Eric,

I feel exactly the same way. Here is my response on another forum when it was pointed out that the 'Kaizen' firmware updates were fixing problems in early cameras that don't exist in the X100S:

Except the X100S had already been released when the big firmware update that really improved the X100 came out. I think that is what many people, myself included, are a bit disappointed about. I bought an X100S - was a bit frustrated by some of the shortcomings it had and ended up selling it, only to buy another when a couple of those things were improved in the one substantive firmware update the X100S got. I foolishly bought back into Fuji thinking based on all the fanfare that came on the heels of the X100 update that hailed Fuji as a different kind of company that continues to improve existing products past their shelf life, that my product too would continue to be improved. Don't get me wrong, I completely understand Fuji's position - they need to sell cameras and in the end, they got $2600 out of me so the marketing clearly worked.

I think that there is an unreasonable gap between expectation and reality being expressed by some here. Fuji have not committed at any point to unlimited upgrades. They are in business to make money, and they do that by a balanced mixture of new product releases and upgrades to existing products.

Too much of one, and they are accused of being just like Sony, abandoning existing customers and forcing the purchase of new kit. Too much of the other is commercial suicide. They cannot win, nor can they please all the people all of the time. I view software upgrades that bring new functionality - as opposed to bug fixes - as a pleasing bonus not an expected right.

I think that there is an unreasonable gap between expectation and reality being expressed by some here. Fuji have not committed at any point to unlimited upgrades. They are in business to make money, and they do that by a balanced mixture of new product releases and upgrades to existing products.

Too much of one, and they are accused of being just like Sony, abandoning existing customers and forcing the purchase of new kit. Too much of the other is commercial suicide. They cannot win, nor can they please all the people all of the time. I view software upgrades that bring new functionality - as opposed to bug fixes - as a pleasing bonus not an expected right.

Bill,

I don't think anyone is being unreasonable here - I don't think anyone is up in arms ready to burn Fuji in effigy. We're just expressing disappointment based on what has come to be admittedly perhaps an unrealistic expectation, but one that Fuji created through its own actions and the marketing that surrounded those actions. I've said repeatedly that I don't think Fuji is doing anything wrong and I understand and appreciate their position. That doesn't mean that I'm not disappointed.

I think we're probably all on the same page here, at heart anyway.

- Fail to fix a software problem: Bad Company.
- Fail to keep upgrading the camera with new functionality for a long time after a successor is launched... well, crap. Would've been nice.

I think we're probably all on the same page here, at heart anyway.

- Fail to fix a software problem: Bad Company.
- Fail to keep upgrading the camera with new functionality for a long time after a successor is launched... well, crap. Would've been nice.
Pithy but to the point. I just feel that there are more important things in life to be disappointed about. Accentuate the positive, sort of thing.

I totally understand the pessimism, if you want to call it that. I understand it 100%. But it still isn't ...correct, I guess you'd say. They're not obligated to upgrade forever. I'd say the only obligation is to bring it up to 100% functional, if for some reason it didn't ship that way.

I am rather optimistic, as the statements by Makoto-san are an indication that Fuji is now actually concentrating their manpower and resources to innovate new features for new and current products. After all, these are the products that currently are or will be for sale in 2015 and need to be as good and attractive as possible to compete with Canasonykonpus.

So if Fuji comes out with another film simulation in a future model past the "T", are you going to expect to receive it?
I won't and don't - and I say this as a "T" owner...

If the film simulation is part of a successor model of the X100T, probably no. If the X100T is still the top model of the X100 series by then, it will most likely get an update (if that's technically possible). This question my be relevant in 2016 or maybe even 2017, when Fuji might introduce the next X100 series camera.

Since I don't expect Fuji to come up with additional film simulation before a new sensor and processor are in place (as is expected for the X-Pro2), the question is most likely of academical nature, anyway. Stuff that is designed for a new processor won't make it into cameras with older technology.

I wouldn't be disappointed by non updates. I'm glad some quirky features were fixed.
I got an X100 because I like the way it works and the files it produces.
If I want something available in a newer model, I would add or replace.

No dog in the fight because I don't own a Fuji X100s. I do own a X100. In my opinion, Fuji created the expectation that upgrades will continue on forever. I applaud Fuji's continued support of its old product, but also understand their decision not to update the X100s. If I were a X100s owner, I would be disappointed, especially because a film simulation upgrade doesn't seem that difficult (in my layman' eyes).

... I would be disappointed, especially because a film simulation upgrade doesn't seem that difficult (in my layman' eyes).
That's hard to tell for anyone who doesn't have the code and any detailed information on the hardware but some other features are usually fairly simple to implement, e.g. expanded programmability of the available buttons. I really miss that option on my X-Pro1.

It is. Hence my qualification that I am just a layman. I think I read somewhere that the classic chrome firmware for X100s already exists. But hey, it's Fuji's call, and so far, their business motto has far exceeded my expectations.

@Rico, aka flysurfer:

As you've stated, that you only expect kaizen like updates for the "current" cameras, I would like to know if you count the X-E2 towards these.

Back