Fuji X100s and Classic Chrome?

I certainly never bought (and wouldn't consider buying) a camera based on imagined features that may or may not be added sometime in the future.

I simply look at what a camera is capable of at the time it's offered to me, and when I like the deal, I am buying and using it.

For example, I bought all three Sigma Merrills a few weeks after Sigma had announced the Quattro, but I certainly didn't expect Sigma to add Quattro firmware features to those Merrills in the future. Quite the contrary: Now that the successor models are available, I'm pretty sure that Sigma won't add anything new at all to my discontinued Merrills. It would be very bad business. After all, Sigma needs to sell those Quattros now.

That's why I think Fuji is quite customer-friendly by providing feature updates to pretty much all enthusiast models during their lifespan. However, I don't expect them to continue doing so after a model's end-of-life.

And there you go!

There's a pretty simple solution... someone needs to leak that unofficial X100S firmware that had classic chrome on it, and it needs to make the rounds on the internet. Those who want it can find it.

There's a pretty simple solution... someone needs to leak that unofficial X100S firmware that had classic chrome on it, and it needs to make the rounds on the internet. Those who want it can find it.

There is also some software that tweaks the EXIF data to make it appear to LR as if your Fuji X100S files were shot by an X-T1 and therefore you can use the LR camera profile for Classic Chrome. Apparently it only works on Windows though:

Time to Play: or:Hacking your x100s files to enable Classic Chrome.

The other solution is to use something like Alien Skin Exposure which has different film simulations including various Kodachrome simulations from years past. Not the same but neither is LR's Classic Chrome simulation compared to the in-camera processing of CC.

On fujirumors.com today there is a post about "hacking" to get classic chrome from an X100s. If you follow the breadcrumbs, the hack is basically running an exif editor and changing the camera type in the .RAF file to X100t.
The method the proponents use is a bit clumsy, but it converts a bunch of .RAF files in batch mode. One problem (for me) is its windows only.
So, I downloaded a free hex editor for mac (I used Hex Fiend). Open a copy of the raw file in the editor. Find the second instance of X100S, change the S to T. save the file. Open it in Lightroom, develop and Camera calibration. Under the profile you now see Classic Chrome as an option. Voila! You can now try Classic Chrome on your X100S image.
I'm sure someone will work up a batch script to edit a load of files, but I just wanted to try it and have the option. I can now do that.

Back