Fuji X100s aperture bug ?

bobbywise

Regular
Name
Robert Wisbey
So the X100s turned up today.
I've had a quick play with it.
I noticed on two occasions something a little odd when in aperture priority mode.
The aperture was set to F2.0, but the screen displayed F2.2 and in another occasion F2.5.
Moving the aperture ring back and fourth sorted it.
Anyone else witness this behavior ?

LOL, I use that thumb thingy in manual mode when adjusting the speed to the intermediate levels not on the dial.
I totally forgot it has the same effect in aperture mode.
Boy, now do I feel stupid :D
Thanks for putting me on the right track sardonic !

Yeah that's definitely what's happening. I forgot to mention in my semi-review on the X100s that this is one of the things that didn't bug me about the X100 but now bugs me a lot about the X100s. When I first got the X100, just HAVING and aperture ring was so nice I was really pleased to be able to use one again. Since then, the Fuji ILC prime lenses all have aperture rings with 1/3 stops, the RX1 has the nicest aperture ring I've felt in a long time and has 1/3 stops, and even the lowly LX7 has an aperture ring with 1/3 stops! So why doesn't the second generation X100? How hard could THAT have been to fix. Now I find it supremely irritating to have to use two separate controls to set the aperture at other than full stops. C'mon Fuji!

-Ray

They may have decided that it worked well enough and was not worth a hardware redesign of the lens. Or they did not want to change the experience for all the X100 owners upgrading in hordes. Or maybe they felt it would be more diffcult to use so close to the body.

My first thought is more probable It would have been much nicer though. Then the command dial could have been used for ISO or to slide the ND filter in and out.

The camera is still an X100. With obvious hardware changes, they would probably have called it X200 or something. Nomen est omen. Of course, I'd have preferred 1/3 steps, as well.

The camera is still an X100. With obvious hardware changes, they would probably have called it X200 or something. Nomen est omen. Of course, I'd have preferred 1/3 steps, as well.

Right, I think its pretty clear they still had a lot of X100 hardware in inventory that needed to be used. With the exception of the sensor and processor, I don't know if they changed a significant thing in hardware (nicer menu button, different shape for OVF/EVF lever, pained a Q on the raw button). And then they did some fairly massive firmware overhaul and its a much nicer camera. But they no doubt had a bunch of lens assemblies already waiting to be used and adding 1/3 stops would have been a pretty expensive endeavor. So I fully understand why they left it as is. But after two years, with all of their lenses, the RX1, even the LX7 (!!!!) adding aperture rings with 1/3 stops, its kind of embarrassing in the midst of this otherwise very impressive update.

So when I said in my earlier post, 'how hard could THAT be', I'm sure it wouldn't have been difficult at all, but it wold have been plenty expensive, so I can see why they didn't fix that one. But after shooting with it for awhile and having gotten used to the X-Pro lenses, the LX7, and now even the RX1, it feels like a really cheap detail missed on an otherwise incredibly nice camera... It wouldn't be a make or break issue if I was seriously considering buying it, but it bugs me I must admit...

One other thing - is it really true that you can't turn the ND filter on and off from the "Q" menu? That seems like such a no-brainer! So you either have to give it the one fn button or you have to menu dive for it? THAT just seems stupid to me. Turning the ND filter on and off seems like something you'd be apt to do more often than change the timer (which is quickly accessible through the drive button anyway) or change your jpeg settings for color or shadow detail or sharpness.

-Ray

One other thing - is it really true that you can't turn the ND filter on and off from the "Q" menu? That seems like such a no-brainer! So you either have to give it the one fn button or you have to menu dive for it? THAT just seems stupid to me. Turning the ND filter on and off seems like something you'd be apt to do more often than change the timer (which is quickly accessible through the drive button anyway) or change your jpeg settings for color or shadow detail or sharpness.

Yup, it's true. And it really does make you say "REALLY?"

You can brighten the display with a long push of the Q button so you can SEE the LCD better in bright light, but to actually engage the ND and drop the exposure 3 stops, you have to press multiple buttons a minimum of 6 times. The camera won't even leave ND Filter as the default menu item if the power is cycled. I've taken the advice from many here to put ND on the Fn button and manage the ISO in Q menu.

Back