Fuji X100S at the Zoo

At the zoo one generally needs zoom to get a close frame of the animals. Still, with a bit of contrast added and maybe a little cropping these images could pretend :) You definitely need to tweak contrast.

Yeah looks like the black point was raised a bit too high and you lost a lot of the great colors from the day. Seems like you were trying to get that Fuji FP-100C feel.

I was referring solely to the wider focal length and being a bit tongue in cheek. Actually the exposures and processing of the images are what I wanted. I realize the look isn't for everyone but it was a conscious choice to place more focus on the animals and less on the surroundings.

I would invite folks to click through the photos and view his flickrstream. For me personally, this treatment doesn't work so well on these zoo shots. But click through, and view some of his other stream. ACES! Keep up the nice work, Eric. I don't think everyone should have the same looking photos and I appreciate that you are carving out a "look" that is fairly consistent.

I would invite folks to click through the photos and view his flickrstream. For me personally, this treatment doesn't work so well on these zoo shots. But click through, and view some of his other stream. ACES! Keep up the nice work, Eric. I don't think everyone should have the smae looking photos and I appreciate that you are carving out a "look" that is fairly consistent.

Whole heartedly agree. A lot of his shots are REALLY good!

Thanks for the kind words guys. I certainly don't mind the critique though - I think we're all here to share, learn and grow and honest, constructive critique is a big part of that.

I would invite folks to click through the photos and view his flickrstream. For me personally, this treatment doesn't work so well on these zoo shots. But click through, and view some of his other stream. ACES! Keep up the nice work, Eric. I don't think everyone should have the same looking photos and I appreciate that you are carving out a "look" that is fairly consistent.

I did click through and you are correct, the processing works very well on some of the other images. In fact I can't imagine them looking better any other way.

I was referring solely to the wider focal length and being a bit tongue in cheek. Actually the exposures and processing of the images are what I wanted. I realize the look isn't for everyone but it was a conscious choice to place more focus on the animals and less on the surroundings.

You're right, it is a personal preference thing. I guess I enjoy seeing the vivid colors of animals or deep tawny dark tones. To me their paint jobs are as important as their overall biological designs so when I photograph them I like to emphasize that. I actually debated whether or not I should take the X100s to the zoo and decided it would probably not suit what I wanted to do. However, one time I took three different lenses and my dslr with me, a 50, a zoom and a 100mm macro, and it was a pain to change lenses out. Sooo..

I am learning to work with the one focal length even if I will not be giving up the dslr any time soon. Or don't plan to anyway. :) Thanks for sharing your images!

consistent?! i dont know the meaning of the word, sir! *slams door!*

lol! :D

the processing is great looking in most of the other shots!
and theres a few that arent processed that way, that i think woulda worked well!

i cant do the low contrast thing, much like i cant do the white vignette... and they both are things i love when others do them well!

Eric, thanks so much for these - and I am glad that I clicked through! You have a broad range of subjects and clearly know what you're doing...and, I have to say, you have a darling little girl! Great bicycle shots too - and that (self)portrait is excellent!

Thanks for the kind words BBW. My wife is very pleased that I've found a new photo subject in our daughter so that she's off the hook in regard to posing for photos

Back