Fuji X100s dust/dirt work fixing?`

MBBINVT

Regular
I just bought a used X100s from B&H Photo and I was bummed to see a small, squiggly dark speck inside my viewfinder, near the bottom right corner. Otherwise the camera looks great. Only 600 shutter actuations.

The camera is still under B&H's 30-day warranty and they are willing to take the camera back and repair it. Plus pay shipping both ways.

My question is: Should I bother? Is it worth the risk of shipping the camera to fix a minor issue that doesn't effect operation? Or is this a sign of a problem with the camera?

The main issue I can think of is that when I inevitably sell this camera, will this dirt speck bring down the value of the camera?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

I'd fix it; I had this in my X100 and it drove me nuts personally. And yes, I think it'll hurt your resale.

You might try a vacuum at home, if you're so inclined. I've gotten dust out of a couple zoom lenses by putting a vacuum nozzle (carefully) over the rear element, might work for the OVF.

On the other hand, if there's something wrong with your X100S OVF seal it might happen again, and they may be able to fix that with the repair. I'm not sure... all I know is my X100 had multiple dust problems and the X100S has been fine so presumably the hardware has been improved to prevent it.

Back