Fuji X100s EVF

christilou

Legend
I bought an X100s at the airport on my way out to Spain last month. Having previously owned an X100 I'm wondering about the EVF on the X100s. I found that I didn't use the camera all that much because as soon as I turned it on in the bright Spanish sunshine, the EVF bleached out momentarily each time and I had to wait a few seconds for it to right itself in order to be able to use it. Can anyone tell me if this is normal for this camera or maybe there's some setting I need to alter?

When you first turn it on? I usually see that a bit in the rear LCD as well. I think it's just the camera coming to terms with exposure when first powered up maybe. I think mine does it on return from auto power off as well. I think the aperture is fully open, and the camera moves it slowly to a position where it can use the sensor for the EVF.

It can only knock down the light to the sensor so much electronically, so it has to actually close the aperture to get the light level down to a usable level for viewing. It could be faster, but I don't think there's much you can do. You can try starting the camera up at a higher aperture number. I haven't tried that myself yet.

I've had no experience of your problem in the Turkish Sunshine but I think I can simulate what you're getting by switching on in front of a light bulb.
The EVF looks white and then within a fraction of a second readjusts.
Try it yourself and if it doesn't adjust itself that quickly I'd talk to Fuji.

Yeah, I have noticed it takes a second to "wake up" with the X100S sometimes. Not really thought about it enough to even think of it as a problem but I do have a similar experience occasionally.

I wonder if it's affected by having the 'quick start up mode' enabled or not? I wouldn't be surprised if this only happens with quick start up on, perhaps with the camera trying to start back up with the exposure settings it used most recently and having to readjust to the new scene.

I wonder if it's affected by having the 'quick start up mode' enabled or not?

I don't think that setting exists on the X100S -- at least not at my firmware level. Power management just has high performance on/off and auto power off. I can't find that setting that was on the old X100.

I don't think that setting exists on the X100S -- at least not at my firmware level. Power management just has high performance on/off and auto power off. I can't find that setting that was on the old X100.

Sorry, I was thinking of "high performance" mode on the X100S.

I haven't looked into that setting to even see what it does, I have to admit. Being an American, it's always "more!" so I have it set on. I have no idea what it does, lol.

I haven't looked into that setting to even see what it does, I have to admit. Being an American, it's always "more!" so I have it set on. I have no idea what it does, lol.

I don't remember everything it does, but it supposedly leads to faster AF and general responsiveness improvements; IIRC when turned off, it actually goes into a type of power save sleep mode for a certain period so it can turn back on faster, among other things. I had it off on mine for a long time but after hearing it was supposed to achieve noticeably improved AF speed I turned it back on.

From Fujifilm's website:

"From instantaneous autofocusing in as fast as 0.08 sec*. to faster start-up, you can maximize the performance of the FUJIFILM X100S to its limits. Also after turning OFF the power, the FUJIFILM X100S enters a “sleep” mode (for a maximum of 24 minutes). Turn ON the power during this time, and the FUJIFILM X100S “wakes up” instantly, reducing the normal start-up time from about 0.9 sec. to approx. 0.5 sec. ready for you to frame and capture the moment."

Back