Fuji X100S Filter Adapters

Chrisnmn

Veteran
Name
Chris Leskovsek
Hey guys, my name is Chris, just got to this forum, while being an active member of the mu-43 one!.

I just got my Fuji X100s and next week im flying to a big trip to Patagonia in Chile and Argentina. And i need some help.

Ive noticed that Fuji followed the "retro" design to its maximum, making the lens on the camera with a male thread instead of a female one like 99.8% of the world. While manufacturers make male filters and not female threaded filters. anyway.

Ive seen tons of stuff on how to put the filters and the hood and everything. BUT. Ive found this filter thread adapters from JJC that they have three versions from 49mm to 49mm, 49 to 52mm and 49 to 58mm.

My question is, do any of you, use this filter adapters more likely the 52 and 58 on your X100/s, and how big makes the front of the camera? As most of my m43 lenses are 46, 52 and 58mm, and dont want to buy, UV, CPL and ND just for this.

any help and photos would be more than appreciated!.

thanks in advance!

G'Day Chris.

I'm yet to receive my S but based on my relatively short time with the X100 I'd say keep any filters/hoods that you attach as small profiled as possible. I know that even using the original Fuji adapter and hood it would block out a fair portion of the bottom right of the OVF so keep this in mind.
I know many people don't attach a hood because of this. So keep any filters at 49mm and if possible, use a 'slim' variety. I purchased the B+W XSPro Kaessemann Slim UV basically just as a protection for the lens. To each their own mate but I for one am horrified at the thought of damaging the front element of that killer lens. I guess your 52mm filters would do fine.
There is also a 49mm silver lens hood designed for the Contax G2 that is very low profiled and is color matched quite nicely to the Fuji...yet to test it out to see how much it will protrude into OVF view though.

None of this will matter if you intend to stick to the EVF/LCD.

Good luck (...and safe travels)

I bought the JJC filter ring adapter and hood that is the clone if the Fuji-branded ring/hood. While the hood looks nice on the camera it makes the camera larger than I'd like so I don't plan to use it. I have added a 49mm-52mm step up ring to the filter adapter ring to perhaps combat a bit of flare, but mainly to allow me to mount my 52mm polarizer. It definitely makes the camera a little bigger but it still fits in the pouch I have for it, though the camera is no longer pocketable even in a bellowed coat pocket.

I bought the JJC filter ring adapter and hood that is the clone if the Fuji-branded [...] I have added a 49mm-52mm step up ring to the filter adapter ring to perhaps combat a bit of flare, but mainly to allow me to mount my 52mm polarizer. It definitely makes the camera a little bigger but it still fits in the pouch I have for it, though the camera is no longer pocketable even in a bellowed coat pocket.

Is the JJC adapter bigger than the Fuji or is the 49-52mm step up ring what makes your camera non pocketable? Fitting in a coat pocket is essential to me, and I was looking at the JJC given the prohibitive cost of the Fuji's kit. How is the color match between the JJc and the Fuji (assuming you have silver)? Can one easily access the lens cap should one use the hood?

The JJC adapter is identical to the Fuji AR-X100 adapter and the LH-X100 hood. The quality is good and the color match is fine.

The lens hood blocks a small portion of the lower right hand screen of the OVF. For me, this is not an issue. If you use the hood, you can not use the Fuji push on lens cap (obviously)....you would need to get a 49mm pinch cap that sit inside the hood and attaches to the adapter ring.

With the hood, the camera is not very pocketable.....but then again, I never thought of the camera as pocketable to begin with.

Frenchman, if you want pocketable I would just stick with the bare camera/stock cap as that's the smallest the camera will be. If however you need to use filters just use the filter ring and a slim 49mm lens cap.

Sounds good. I can't wait for my camera to show up. I know it is big to be pocketable but truly pocketable cameras do not have the controls I want so this is it. I'll adjust the size of my pockets.

Hey guys, appreciate all your info!. this helps a lot. :hail:

I bought the JJC filter ring adapter and hood that is the clone if the Fuji-branded ring/hood. While the hood looks nice on the camera it makes the camera larger than I'd like so I don't plan to use it. I have added a 49mm-52mm step up ring to the filter adapter ring to perhaps combat a bit of flare, but mainly to allow me to mount my 52mm polarizer. It definitely makes the camera a little bigger but it still fits in the pouch I have for it, though the camera is no longer pocketable even in a bellowed coat pocket.

I can get the 52mm one and make it work with my Cokin P system but nothing else. But then if i get the 58mm i have an B+W UV, Marumi DHG CPL and my Cokin P and im only a week from my trip, so i think for now, ill take the 58mm one and see how it goes. ill keep you guys posted!.

thanks! ;)

Back