Fuji X100s - I'm just not bonding

Strictly out of curiosity, I know that Fuji's newer ILC bodies have a minimum shutter speed up to 1/500 in auto-ISO now and firmware updates added this in some of the older bodies as well (X-Pro and XE1 I believe). Did they NOT add this capability to the X100S? How about the X100T - did it ship with this higher minimum shutter speed capability? I don't get why they even cap it at 1/500 on the ILC bodies, but it's enough for me with anything but really long lenses - I can't ever imagine aver needing anything faster with the X100 series since 50mm is as long as they get with adapters...

-Ray

No, there have been no firmware updates that address this with the X100S - its still 1/125sec with the latest firmware. I can't speak to the 100T, but I would imagine its the same. I also believe that the Auto ISO in the X30 has the same shutter speed cap of 1/125sec. For me its not about protecting against camera shake, its about being able to stop mild action while still leveraging AutoISO and being able to fine tune exposure with compensation. I use the X100S primarily to shoot photos of my 2 year old and 1/125 results in blurry hands most of the time. Of course I can set the shutter to 1/250sec, but then I'm stuck with however the camera meters for the aperture I have set and the exposure comp dial doesn't do anything.

No, there have been no firmware updates that address this with the X100S - its still 1/125sec with the latest firmware. I can't speak to the 100T, but I would imagine its the same. I also believe that the Auto ISO in the X30 has the same shutter speed cap of 1/125sec. For me its not about protecting against camera shake, its about being able to stop mild action while still leveraging AutoISO and being able to fine tune exposure with compensation. I use the X100S primarily to shoot photos of my 2 year old and 1/125 results in blurry hands most of the time. Of course I can set the shutter to 1/250sec, but then I'm stuck with however the camera meters for the aperture I have set and the exposure comp dial doesn't do anything.

Wow, that's disappointing. I use this setup for street shooting all the time, and I often shoot moving subjects while I'm moving too - I've generally found something in the 1/400-1/500 range necessary for a high percentage of keepers. The way the XT1 and XE2 are setup is kind of a minimum standard for me. My Nikon Coolpix A allows for minimum shutter speeds up to 1/1000 and my Nikon Df (along with Nikon's other DSLRs) has about the most powerful and flexible auto-ISO setup I've ever used. Fuji finally got in the game with the XE2 and XT1 (and then retrofitted the X-Pro and XE1 as well), but I can't see why they don't do this with all of their cameras and bodies...

Thanks for the information, though - good to know...

-Ray

Well, chaps it IS a shame, but I'm a big boy and I'll live. I have it up on eBay at the moment; it has nearly 100 watchers, and finishes on Sunday evening. It has a high reserve, and I confidently expect to break even, maybe even make a small profit overall because the chap I bought it off ended his listing on a Tuesday afternoon...

Either way, if I end up paying a few quid to have "hired" it for a few weeks I can cope with that. I have learned the valuable lesson that the X100 "package" is simply not for me, and in the process I have "scratched the itch" and don't have that niggling "what if" at the back of my mind.

Only ever regret what you have done, not what you have not done.

Just as a footnote, I ended up with 180 watchers for the X100S. I sold both it and the TC-X100 for a modest profit in each case, so even with seller's fees I am still up on the deal. ;)

Back