Infrared Gear x100s Infrared Photography

soujanna

Dear Rico,

I have been going through your book "Mastering X-Pro1" and thank you for writing a great instructive book to help a newbie to X-system get started. I am using it for ramping up on the X100s.

I would request you to write a post here and/or on your blog on infrared photography using the X100s.

Thank you,
Soujanna

Ho Soujanna, there is small section on infrared in the book (which I am sure you have read since you already mentioned it), but I'd recommend scanning the forums for more insight regarding this topic. There are a few real masters out there. Thanks to their rather weak IR filters, Fuji APS-C cameras are quite usable for infrared.

Since infrared is a general photographic topic that isn't specific to the X series, it's not something I'd cover in my blog, just like I do not cover general topics like landscape or portrait photography. I may know more than most about using the X series, but I'd wouldn't dare to pretend that I know more about general photographic genres. ;)

Like with the X-Pro1, you may want to start with a R72 filter (Hoya or similar). If you don't want to EVF to look super-red, set the WB to the lowest value possible, or use a black&white film simulation mode. Make sure that you use a tripod if you want to stop down or want to avoid high ISOs.

From there on (one you have the pictures on your card), infrared is mainly a post-processing issue. There are plenty of free tutorials available, like this one: http://www.infovein.org/infrared/ Or this one: Basic Infrared Photoshop Techniques Tutorial Or this one: http://www.tutorial9.net/tutorials/photography-tutorials/infrared-photography/

Thank you Rico for your response; I will follow the threads.

What are other IR filters options that could be used? I see too many IR filters available, but all may not be available locally.

Thank you,
Soujanna

R72 is the "standard" filter for IR, but you can of course use any IR filter that is suggested by a IR tutorial (for cameras that aren't IR converted).

Back