Fuji X100s Manual Focusing

CaptZoom

Veteran
I'm interested in hearing about you're experience using the focus patch in manual mode? For those of you who have used it, please share your experience.

I enjoy using the digital split image as I'm used to the concept to a degree from my film SLRs. It works best on subjects with vertical lines and in my opinion is easiest to use with the center of the frame magnified. If speed is of the essence I think focus peaking is the quicker MF option though.

I don't have a X100S (yet), but when I was playing with it at the LCS, I found the split image somewhat difficult to use, because the "gray" area is very faint. There is not enough contrast. I definitely prefer the focus peaking.

I found the split image somewhat difficult to use, because the "gray" area is very faint. There is not enough contrast. I definitely prefer the focus peaking.

100% agree. In ideal lighting with just the right subject matter and some time to fiddle (or maybe with a lot more practice), split image will be a killer feature. Focus peaking seems to work in a wider variety of circumstances and I prefer it (so far, anyway). Also agree with others that it might be nice to be able to switch colors for even better contrast.

Before I tried it, I thought that I'd like the split image a lot. Turns out I didn't. It really doesnt work well, to be honest. Peaking is however, very good. The feel and throw of the focus ring is excellent as well. Too bad the rest of the camera isn't a huge step up from the X100. If it was OM-D-fast, I'd replace my X100 with the X100s, but it just isn't...

I've made the decision to purchase the X100s, but won't be for a few months. In the mean time, I want to learn as much about it as I can. It seems, Fuji has some ways to go in the split image focusing, which is fine. This is their first go at it, and thankfully there are alternatives built into the camera. I've tried using focus peaking in the NEX, and it just annoyed the frak out of me! I found it more distracting than helpful (but I'm used to viewfinders with almost no distractions). I also haven't regularly used a NEX, so never really learned it (something that won't the case with the Fuji).

The peaking feature works better practically for 2 reasons: 1) it's easier to see than the split image as others noted and 2) it's across the entire frame, instead of just the center phase detect region.

My only gripe with the peaking is I wish they'd let you select your choice of colors. Too many things seem to blend into white and I have a hard time telling what's peaking highlights versus just bright areas of the frame. Much easier (for me) to distinguish with red peaking highlights, for example.

I find both have their strengths. Peaking works best when viewing the entire frame in EVF and for off centre subjects. Digital split image works best in the OVF (press the command rocker switch in and it'll switch the OVF to EVF magnified split image) when doing a very precise focusing adjustment or to confirm zone focusing when in OVF. I also find split image works best for close up again for its precision. The split image works best on subjects with vertical lines. With horizontal lines I hold the camera at around 45 degrees focus and re-orient.

...til tonight, I didn't realise you could flip through the focus assist methods (standard-split-peak) by holding in the command wheel for a couple of seconds.
Cool

[video=youtube_share;r65_9ewvHm0]

I'm really happy since this gentleman started making English videos on YouTube. He has covered a bunch of items on his videos that I missed in the docs.

Back