Fuji X100s or wait for XPro2

Pruhawk

Hi, new to the forum.

I am thinking seriously about getting the X100s but have some concern about just having the one lens.

For all of you with the x100, is it your primary camera?

For those with the Xpro or X-E1, do you find that you primarily just use one lens, if so, which lens?

Thanks for your input

Personally, I cannot imagine using just one lens as my main camera. The Panasonic 20mm is slapped on my Olympus Pen maybe 70-80% of the time, but I cannot discount that 20-30% of the time when I have to use some other lens. Removing that 20-30% sort of "cripples" the system for me.

Yes, the X100 is my primary camera, but as above, when I know I will be in situations where I will require other viewpoints, I have my m4/3 system, or a DSLR system available to me. That said, when I go out, the X100 is on my shoulder 95% of the time.

Yes, the X100 is my primary camera, but as above, when I know I will be in situations where I will require other viewpoints, I have my m4/3 system, or a DSLR system available to me. That said, when I go out, the X100 is on my shoulder 95% of the time.

Same here! I find, though, that I am using the DSLR less and less, because the IQ from the X100 is so amazingly good, that you can crop the crap out of it and still get something approaching a pseudo-zoom.

Why do you need to change lenses? Think about your style of photography and consider do you need multi lenses? If you need the comfort of being able to switch, you want interchangeable.

From my experience people have their combo which they shoot with 90% of the time, they just want to be able to change lenses should something take their fancy

Only you can make that decision and it sdhould obviously be based around you asking yourself:

1. What type of photography do I shoot most
2. Can a fixed lens camera cover what I need
3. Do I need a range of lenses to carry around

I have the X100 and apart from sport/fast moving subjects, there have been very few occasions where I have not been able to get a photo I am happy with - admittedly, I do not have the same versatility as I get from my other cameras but a fixed lens does encourage me to move closer / further away to get the shot I want so allows me to see different perspectives to shoot.
The cost factor also plays a part and finally, if people only wait for the next "best thing" they will lose out on valuable time shooting, improving and enjoying photography and as has been proven since photography first became popular, the equipment is only a tool and the operator is the critical factor - skilled photographers can produce superb images with 99% of cameras and bad photographers with the most expensive feature packed cameras, still produce bad photos.
I would encourage you to see if you can hire an XPro-1 and an X100 and features apart, see how you get on with fixed lens versus interchanable.

Thank you everyone for your input. I am going on vacation soon and have arranged to borrow a x100. I will only use the x100 and If I find I do not miss having the extra lens (and the extra bulk and weight) will order the x100s.

Good for you, Pruhawk and please let us know visually as well as verbally how you and the X100 got along. It's not often one gets to borrow a camera like this and really get to know it.

Back