Fuji X100S or X100?

Biro

Hall of Famer
Name
Steve
So... the brand-new Fuji X100S for $1299 or a close-out X100 for... what? How much of a discount would it take for you to go for the X100, knowing its faults and the improvements offered by the X100S?

I doubt the close-out pricing on a new X100 would be low enough for me to choose it over the 100s, but when the X100 used prices crack the $500 mark they will be tough to pass up on. ;)

If I didn't already have the X100, I'd get the S, not so much for its oh so fast AF *giggle* but for the other improvements. That said, I won't be in a rush to sell the one I have, I really am only coming to grips with it now, a year down the track. Its a keeper for me.

I'm impressed by the way Fuji hasn't spoilt the basic X100 but for me the X20 is a much more relevant camera.
My X100 will continue to sit on the shelf gathering dust....I've never been a fan of the lens and that stays the same.

My X100 will continue to sit on the shelf gathering dust....I've never been a fan of the lens and that stays the same.

I don't know how you can dislike the lens, but MORE than that....why not sell it instead of letting it collect dust and depreciate?

To the original post, it depends on how fat your wallet is I suppose. I find nothing wrong with the X100. It does absolutely everything I ask of it. I would guess the X100 would drop to around $899. Nice used ones can often be had around $700. And when I say used ones, I mean pretty well unused, owned by a camera fetishist instead of a photographer....like new with many accessories.

I won't be selling mine to buy the the new "S". It's more than good enough, and I'll put the extra dough in a vacation fund.

I don't know how you can dislike the lens, but MORE than that....why not sell it instead of letting it collect dust and depreciate?

I've spoken about the lens before. The softness at f2 is not to my liking and the change in resolution as the focus distance alters makes the use of f4 and f5.6 essential for high IQ.
The contrast with the IQ from my Leica X1 and Canon G1X when opened up can be stark ..quite unlike the expectations I had after looking at Test Charts.
What's worse is that Macro resolution only matches my LX5 at f8.
The colours are gorgeous and it's a joy to handle but my other cameras provide sharper images with more "pop".

I might dump it for a new X20 : for al its faults I've always loved using the X10.

Like others I am very pleased to see that Fuji have not abandoned the X100 but have improved on it even more. I love my X100 and I am still impressed by the quality of build, tactile feedback and superb image quality - all positives.
Ok, the first firmware was not good and AF was sluggish however as new updates were released the camera improved dramatically and it now does what I want it to do - it does need thought and patience to use but the end results justify the means.
I think the X100s will be a hit as many still use it as opposed to going XPro-1 - I just hope the price is not prohibitive but to make their range viable they will need to keep it below that of the XPro-1 (unless of course they release an XPro-2?).
All positive steps!

Back