Fuji X100S vs X100T

theoldsmithy

Hall of Famer
Name
Martin Connolly
I've come to the conclusion that I really need to swap my LX100 for something with a bigger sensor, and the X100 bug is starting to bite me again. I really disliked using the original X100 - it was just so slow to change any settings, the macro button needed to be pressed annoyingly often and focussing seemed totally random. Also Lightroom struggled with the RAW files if you used DR200 or 400. But the images were great! Then I tried an X-E1, loved the x-trans files and I believe the later X100 models are much snappier in use and focussing. The question is whether the T is actually any better to use than the S from a speed point of view. The screen seems to be much better, but is there anything else that would really justify the extra £200 or so it would cost over the S?

With the F hopefully causing prices to drop I would just look for a good deal on the T if I were in the same boat.

I've had the x100, the S and the T. I would get the T again in a heartbeat.

Do you need the EVF? There's a nice first look from Rico Pfirstinger that details a few things the X70 actually has over the X100T. Of course if 35mm, f/2, or the EVF are requirements than it doesn't really matter.

I went with the X70 for a few reasons. 28mm, size, and tilt/touch screen being the main ones.

I will point out, if you think you'll be doing a lot of manual AF the front control ring is a bit cramped on the X70. It works great when set to control something else for just that reason, you're less likely to change a setting accidentally.

I'd say that the X70 and X100T are very different beasts. They may complement one another, as I do with my Ricoh GR, but they are not interchangeable. If the 28mm FOV is desirable, then the WCL-X100 is a great option.

X100T with WCL mounted and JJC hood on B2B.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I've had both and indeed found the T to be somewhat snappier than the S, especially in low-light situations but to me it was still far from ideal. In situations without enough contrast to lock AF I often had to revert to MF to get the shot and even though MF works somewhat better on the T than on the S or any of the older X-bricks it was a bit frustrating at times and I sold it. I still have two X-Pro1's and while the AF is even slower, no matter what lens I'm using, I'm OK with the slightly larger size and using it mainly in MF mode with back-button focusing. Maybe I just expected too much from the AF on the newer X100's for some of my standard shooting situations but at the end of the day they I didn't get more keepers than from my older setup.

To be honest I think I would rather have the wider lens as the default with the option of going to 35. I've gone back through my LR catalog and I seem to tend towards the widest FL on all lenses. So an X70 or even a Ricoh GR would be a good bet. I had the WCL-X100 and I instantly liked the FL but found it a bit of a pain swapping it on and off the camera.
Anyway, I'm going to leave my CLOD (chronic lack of decisiveness) to fester for a few weeks - I'm going to the Photography Show in Birmingham on March 19th so I can have a good look at various options there, and maybe pick up a bargain.
Thanks all for your input - it's very useful.

Martin, feel free to allow your CLOD to fester. Time is on your side. Prices on the X100T will drop some more as the F model gets out in the wild. And I'm another one who'll tell you the T is better than the S.

But you are also correct to strongly consider the X70 if 28mm does it for you. And, don't forget, the X70 - like the Ricoh GR - has useful crop modes if you ever need them. 35mm and 47/50mm are but a button push away.

There's another BIG difference. The GR still captures a raw file in crop mode. The Fuji solution, in the X70 and now the X100F is jpg-only. I never "got" the X70 and was never tempted away from my GR and that was one of the big reasons why.

There's another BIG difference. The GR still captures a raw file in crop mode. The Fuji solution, in the X70 and now the X100F is jpg-only. I never "got" the X70 and was never tempted away from my GR and that was one of the big reasons why.
I REALLY wish it did. I love playing around with the Film Sims, but would love to always have the RAW file to go back too. Playing around with bracketing you mentioned over on X-Spot.

Bill, did you play with the X70's crop mode for any length of time? What did you think of the quality of the interpolated images?

Steve, I've never owned an X70 - as I said, it leaves me unmoved. The GR is still the Daddy in this sector. However I have an X100F now and this is one of the things I'm playing around with. 24mp leaves a lot more room to manouvre...

Steve, I've never owned an X70 - as I said, it leaves me unmoved. The GR is still the Daddy in this sector. However I have an X100F now and this is one of the things I'm playing around with. 24mp leaves a lot more room to manouvre...

My bad. I thought you tried the X70 for a while but let it go because you didn't like it as much as the GR. I'm Looking forward to your impressions of the X100F.

Last edited:
Bill, did you play with the X70's crop mode for any length of time? What did you think of the quality of the interpolated images?

Not the most interesting subjects but (one thing I like about the X70 is the close focusing):

Attachments

• _DSF5145.jpg
    _DSF5145.jpg
    408.5 KB · Views: 79
  • _DSF5146.jpg
    _DSF5146.jpg
    340.2 KB · Views: 93
  • _DSF5147.jpg
    _DSF5147.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 72
  • _DSF5148.jpg
    _DSF5148.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 87
  • _DSF5149.jpg
    _DSF5149.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 83
  • _DSF5150.jpg
    _DSF5150.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 75
I picked up a mint x100T this week with 1500 actuation for just over £500, including the Fuji case, spare Fuji battery and a JJC hood/filter.

After some initial disappointment ( f2 is really soft for close ups ) and "battery drain" ( or, adding a soft release button with the camera in high performance mode and then putting it back in the case. Schoolboy error ) I'm starting to gel with the camera. Coming from the x30 ( albeit briefly ), the detail is great as is the high ISO abilities.

On the wish list for me is quicker focussing - it still doesn't lock on to low contrast subjects at times and oh do I miss a tilt screen. Never mind, all stuff I knew about

I don't know what the S goes for but on TP, there have been 3 Ts for sale this week, all at between £500 and £550. That seems like a fair price to me

I picked up a mint x100T this week with 1500 actuation for just over £500, including the Fuji case, spare Fuji battery and a JJC hood/filter.

After some initial disappointment ( f2 is really soft for close ups ) and "battery drain" ( or, adding a soft release button with the camera in high performance mode and then putting it back in the case. Schoolboy error ) I'm starting to gel with the camera. Coming from the x30 ( albeit briefly ), the detail is great as is the high ISO abilities.

On the wish list for me is quicker focussing - it still doesn't lock on to low contrast subjects at times and oh do I miss a tilt screen. Never mind, all stuff I knew about

I don't know what the S goes for but on TP, there have been 3 Ts for sale this week, all at between £500 and £550. That seems like a fair price to me
Those are good prices - ebay seems to be around £600 generally. What's TP?

Back