Fuji X100T Improvements

flysurfer

Hall of Famer
I am finally able to evaluate my own pre-production copy of the X100T. After a few hours of testing, here's my initial list of improvements / changes vs. the X100S:

• improved JPEG engine with Classic Chrome, ISO 51200
  • improved user interface showing mire information while obscuring less of the scene, leaving the corners of the image free
  • live view with improved WYSIWYG (Natural Live View, DR simulation, color saturation setting, automatic brightness setting)
  • fast real-time viewfinder like in the X-E2, X-T1 and X30
  • improved button layout with selector keys replacing the second command dial (the focus ring now serves as second command dial in playback mode)
  • main command dial is now a real thumb wheel instead of a rocker key
  • new hybrid viewfinder with picture-in-picture option (electronic rangefinder) in the OVF (incl. magnification and MD assistants) and automatic parallax correction in MF mode
  • larger LCD display (3:2) with higher resolution
  • faster AF with new algorithm
  • tracking AF feature like in the X-T1
  • same AF settings and options as in the X-T1
  • face recognition
  • PDAF also works with Instant AF (AF-L button / One-Touch AF)
  • AF-Lock takes new measurement when pressed
  • optional coupling of spot metering with the active AF frame (incl. the size of the active AF frame)
  • new multi-point AF multi mode in AF-S
  • built-in wifi with image transfer, remote control and Instax printing
  • exposure compensation dial with ± 3 EV
  • aperture ring with 1/3 EV steps
  • improved focus ring
  • more reliable battery life indicator
  • electronic shutter with 1/32.000 sec.
  • Q menu is fully configurable
  • 7 Fn buttons
  • 3 different Auto-ISO settings
  • exposure compensation dial works in manual mode M when Auto-ISO is active
  • almost all camera functions can be assigned to the Q menu or an Fn button, incl. flash exposure compensation
  • Fn buttons now often work as quick toggles instead of displaying a menu
  • improved video mode with many frame rates and full manual control (aperture, shutter speed, ISO) and film simulation support
  • intervalometer

I'm interested to see the extent to which this is the start of a new cycle for Fujifilm. The original X100 heralded the X series - let's see how much of this new functionality finds it's way into "the twos" - Pro2 and T2...

100.00% of it.
And much more, hopefully.
I am currently working on a feedback paper specifying improvements for the next generation, post X30/X100T.
The5 X-T2 is far away, so we can expect Fuji to implement many further improvements. Personally, I've still a few ideas left.

So, as someone who's considering an x100s at present would you say it's worth paying the premium for a T over the S if you know no different?

Ah, a trick question. And only you can answer it.

Personally, I can't wait to replace the X100S with an X100T. After all, it contains most of the improvements that I asked for last year. Heck, I once even actively pushed the "electronic rangefinder" picture-in-picture idea, I still have the email detailing it, I sent it to Fuji on 9/14/2012. Pretty much 2 years ago. So there's no question about what I would do. ;) This camera (and the X30) offer very much what I asked Fuji to improve, and I'm pretty sure many others had quite similar ideas and requests.

Do you know whether the X100T allows you to change the color of the focus peaking to something other than white? Before I sold my X100S, the only allowed color was white, so I'm hoping the X100T allows you to configure the color to, say, red.

I'm waiting for a number of full reviews on the X100T as well as the LX100 and even the G7X before pulling the trigger. But I have to think about this carefully: If I don't buy a Fuji X100 this time around, I probably never will. I suspect pricing on both the Panasonic and the Canon will fall more readily with time than the Fuji, which tends to hold its full MSRP for a very long time. Although the LX100 is a bit of a gamble. Most of Panasonic's cameras drop in price fairly rapidly with the exception of the GH3 and GH4. Will the LX100 be like those two cameras or like the rest of the company's micro four-thirds line? Still, it's $400 cheaper than the X100T to begin with.

I am finally able to evaluate my own pre-production copy of the X100T. After a few hours of testing, here's my initial list of improvements / changes vs. the X100S:

• improved JPEG engine with Classic Chrome, ISO 51200
  • improved user interface showing mire information while obscuring less of the scene, leaving the corners of the image free
  • live view with improved WYSIWYG (Natural Live View, DR simulation, color saturation setting, automatic brightness setting)
  • fast real-time viewfinder like in the X-E2, X-T1 and X30
  • improved button layout with selector keys replacing the second command dial (the focus ring now serves as second command dial in playback mode)
  • main command dial is now a real thumb wheel instead of a rocker key
  • new hybrid viewfinder with picture-in-picture option (electronic rangefinder) in the OVF (incl. magnification and MD assistants) and automatic parallax correction in MF mode
  • larger LCD display (3:2) with higher resolution
  • faster AF with new algorithm
  • tracking AF feature like in the X-T1
  • same AF settings and options as in the X-T1
  • face recognition
  • PDAF also works with Instant AF (AF-L button / One-Touch AF)
  • AF-Lock takes new measurement when pressed
  • optional coupling of spot metering with the active AF frame (incl. the size of the active AF frame)
  • new multi-point AF multi mode in AF-S
  • built-in wifi with image transfer, remote control and Instax printing
  • exposure compensation dial with ± 3 EV
  • aperture ring with 1/3 EV steps
  • improved focus ring
  • more reliable battery life indicator
  • electronic shutter with 1/32.000 sec.
  • Q menu is fully configurable
  • 7 Fn buttons
  • 3 different Auto-ISO settings
  • exposure compensation dial works in manual mode M when Auto-ISO is active
  • almost all camera functions can be assigned to the Q menu or an Fn button, incl. flash exposure compensation
  • Fn buttons now often work as quick toggles instead of displaying a menu
  • improved video mode with many frame rates and full manual control (aperture, shutter speed, ISO) and film simulation support
  • intervalometer

Have they tightened up the exposure compensation +/- dial on the top of the camera that is easily moved by accident?

There may even be differences between different samples and production runs. Not to mention that it's moot to comment on the torque of pre-production units. Anything is possible when the final cameras hit the shelves.

In any case, my PP sample has a larger exp. comp. dial than the X100S, and it's harder to turn.

Back