Fuji X100T USB Charging Issues

ean10775

All-Pro
Name
Eric
I've never used the USB charging option on my X100T until last week. With the battery nearly fully drained (flashing red on the LCD) I shut off the camera and charged the battery (the official Fuji battery, not an aftermarket) from inside the camera using the supplied USB cable and an Apple iPad charger. The light on the back of the camera came on while charging and I charged the camera until it was full and the light went off.

The next day when I attempted to use the camera, I kept getting a scrambled LCD screen with rainbow striped static across it regardless of how many times I cycled the camera off and on and removed/reinserted the battery. After 5-10 attempts the battery indicator flashed red on the LCD and the camera went dead. A fresh battery resolved the issue.

Has anyone else had a problem charging the X100T with USB? I'm leaving for a vacation this week where I need to pack light and was hoping to not have to bring yet another charger (in addition to the one for my phone/iPad), but that doesn't seem like its going to be the case.

Sounds like a broken battery. Try another battery and see if your USB charger "breaks" it, too. This should help identify the culprit.

Sounds like a broken battery. Try another battery and see if your USB charger "breaks" it, too. This should help identify the culprit.

That's sounds like a potentially expensive exercise, but I suppose I can give it a go. The user manual only speaks to charging USB via a computer and not through an AC adapter. Could this be the issue? Has anyone tried to charge via a wall adapter in the way that I did? I would assume that the cable supplied with the camera has some sort of voltage regulator to ensure that the camera charges safely.

Regular USB never transmits more than 5 volts; some cameras contain electronics to convert this 5 volt input to the 7.8 volts or whatever the battery uses, but the USB protocol should ensure that the cable itself transmits no more than 5 volts. You should also be able to check this on the wall adapter. Charging via a USB using a wall adapter shouldn't be a problem.

If I remember correctly, the newer USB-C can transmit higher voltages, but I'm pretty sure that there aren't any cameras out there using USB-C already, and therefore a USB-C cable wouldn't connect to the camera anyway.

I charged the other official Fuji battery that I have via USB using the same iPad charger I used on the first battery and it appears to have charged successfully. I also charged the 'broken battery' in a wall charger and it appears to have charged successfully and now works in the camera again. Hmm...

I think from my own experiences that the X100T is a bit finicky with power... You may remember I had some issues with mine a couple of weeks ago in Madeira? In particular it had got stuck in EVF-only mode. It cleared itself after being fully charged via USB (my only option since I had left my proper charger at home). It didn't happen again on that trip, but I managed to repeat the issue the other day. I know for a fact that this time around I changed the battery with the camera turned on; bad discipline but easily done. Exactly the same thing happened - stuck in EVF mode until I charged it up overnight. Weird.

By the way the wall charger I use is this one - PortaPow 4.5 A Quad USB Wall Charger With 3 Year: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics I have 3 or 4 in UK 3-pin config that live around the house and one with the European 2 pin for travel. They have never caused me a problem.

I use the Samsung charger that comes with all of the current Galaxy phones and tablets to charge the OEM NP95 batteries in my X100T. Never had a problem.

Back