Fuji X100V annoyances

After a 3-weeks intensive workout with the X100V, I'm mostly satisfied with it and the output it produces. However, I've come across a few annoyances I'd like to share here.
  • Automatic wrap-around of the focus point. When I move it to e.g. the far right with the joystick, it automatically jumps to the far left after hitting the right edge. I'd like it to stay put when it hits the edge. Really annoying, more than once I thought: "Hey, where's my focus point?"
  • When face-detect and optionally eye-detect is enabled, exposure automatically switches to something else (average according to Tony Phillips' e-book). This sometimes completely screws up exposure by blowing highlights in the background. I'd like that to be defeatable and just do the metering mode ("photometry" in Fuji-speak) I set it to.
  • A smaller niggle, but still: the fastest minimum shutter speed for Auto ISO is 1/500. I'd like it to be at least 1/1000.
I'd like to be wrong on these limitations, so please correct me if I am :).

Is there a way to submit feedback to Fuji with a (remote) chance that they will actually evaluate it? Thanks.

After a 3-weeks intensive workout with the X100V, I'm mostly satisfied with it and the output it produces. However, I've come across a few annoyances I'd like to share here.
  • Automatic wrap-around of the focus point. When I move it to e.g. the far right with the joystick, it automatically jumps to the far left after hitting the right edge. I'd like it to stay put when it hits the edge. Really annoying, more than once I thought: "Hey, where's my focus point?"
  • When face-detect and optionally eye-detect is enabled, exposure automatically switches to something else (average according to Tony Phillips' e-book). This sometimes completely screws up exposure by blowing highlights in the background. I'd like that to be defeatable and just do the metering mode ("photometry" in Fuji-speak) I set it to.
  • A smaller niggle, but still: the fastest minimum shutter speed for Auto ISO is 1/500. I'd like it to be at least 1/1000.
I'd like to be wrong on these limitations, so please correct me if I am :).

Is there a way to submit feedback to Fuji with a (remote) chance that they will actually evaluate it? Thanks.
I wish I still had mine to walk through the menu, but I am almost 100% certain issue number 1 can be turned off in the menu.

I wish I still had mine to walk through the menu, but I am almost 100% certain issue number 1 can be turned off in the menu.
You can turn off the wrap-around, but I think what he's saying is when he hits the edge, it doesn't stay on the edge, it goes to the other side. @Ad Dieleman looking at page 71 of the manual I have (don't have the camera anymore) shows the AF points short of the edge of the screen with what looks like there might be room for one more point, but it doesn't look like there actually is one. Could you be hitting that space so it's just wrapping around?

I have a more fundamental annoyance with the X100V - I can't find one to buy. I decided a while ago that when I had sufficient funds I would treat myself to a nice new X100V, then Fujifilm announced that they weren't accepting any new orders and now I do have enough money there are none to be found.

Some stores will let you order an X100V with no promise of when it will ship, so maybe there is a trickle being released, but I get the impression it's a complete log-jam at the moment.

I thought at one point I should change tack and get an XE-4 and a pancake lens instead, but you can't get those either. It's very annoying.

-R

I have a more fundamental annoyance with the X100V - I can't find one to buy. I decided a while ago that when I had sufficient funds I would treat myself to a nice new X100V, then Fujifilm announced that they weren't accepting any new orders and now I do have enough money there are none to be found.

Some stores will let you order an X100V with no promise of when it will ship, so maybe there is a trickle being released, but I get the impression it's a complete log-jam at the moment.

I thought at one point I should change tack and get an XE-4 and a pancake lens instead, but you can't get those either. It's very annoying.

-R
I bought mine in the beginning of May. It was shown as out of stock everywhere, but when I ordered one, it got delivered in 1 week, so supply might be trickling in anyway.

You can turn off the wrap-around, but I think what he's saying is when he hits the edge, it doesn't stay on the edge, it goes to the other side. @Ad Dieleman looking at page 71 of the manual I have (don't have the camera anymore) shows the AF points short of the edge of the screen with what looks like there might be room for one more point, but it doesn't look like there actually is one. Could you be hitting that space so it's just wrapping around?
Yup, that's what's happening. Checked the manual, but couldn't find a way to turn off that jumping to the other side (which I meant by wrap-around).

Simply pre-ordering seems to be the only approach as of now. In an interview with DP Review a number of weeks ago, Fujifilm stated they already increased production volume of X100V but they still can't keep up with the demand. The few times I've read about people who bought a new one, those also have pre-ordered and waited - sometimes longer, sometimes delivery was surprisingly fast. Here in Germany at least my go-to stores also only take pre-orders for X100V and don't give any estimates for shipping.

It's easy for me to say as I don't need one, but there is something quite nice about a camera like that being so difficult to acquire due to it being popular at this time. And comically this seems to be causing a bit of a rumble on photography forums outside of this and Fuji forums with adverse "Instagram"/ "Hipster" comments, albeit such comments thankfully seem to be drowned out by the the sheer volume of people in the queue for one.

Years ago, I placed a X100s on preorder when they were first announced as my entry into the land of Fuji. Since then, I've become a well and fully disciple, and have dispensed with the Nikon gear.

About a year ago in an effort to refresh my three Fuji's to the same "configuration" I bought a X100f . I was going to sell the X100s to cover some of the cost, but the typical sale price was sub $300. I figured I would just hang onto it as that price. None of my kids wanted it, so it sat rather unloved in a plastic bin in the cupboard.

Lo and behold, the Instagram set decides that the X100v is the "camera to have", and the runup ensues.

The good effect is the value of my poor little forlorn X100s doubled as a result of the demand! :D

So it got sold on Fred Miranda and the funds were used to buy a XF16-80 that I had been pining for.

Win-Win!

Back