Leica X2 to be "Micro Fourth Thirds"?

Adde

Panasonic UK confirmed that they are working on a new, Leica branded, 25mm f/1.4 lens for Micro Four Thirds:

“Q: And there’s a new lens to go with the G3 isn’t there?

A: Yes, here’s the first working sample of the 25mm f/1.4; really eagerly anticipated and not planned for launch until the second half of this year. It will be Leica approved and branded.”
Source: Photorumors.com

Since Leica will create it's first lens for MFT do you think the X2 will be Micro Fourth Thirds?

Hi Adde. Welcome to SC.

I'm not sure if the lens in question is an actual Leica lens. The key word is 'branded'. The Panasonic 45 2.8 is a Leica branded lens that is already available. Leica are lending their name and their credibility to certain Panasonic lenses (for a sizeable fee no doubt) in the same way that Zeiss lend theirs to Sony.

That's not to say that Leica might not bring out a Leica branded Panasonic M43 camera at some point (and charge twice as much for it) but for the 'real' Leicas it's hard to see.

I doubt it. Although I've never used an X1, it apparently produces pretty good IQ in a smaller package than the X100. I don't see Leica needing to make the X2 even smaller and using a sensor that is smaller than an APS-C.

I think a X2 would be awesome if Leica puts a VF on a X1 and sticks a miniaturized 24 Lux on it. Unfortunately, Leica would then be charging $6-7K for it!

I truly hope Leica do not bring out a 4/3rds camera as their reputation is quality lenses and quality images, but I won't be surprised if they do.

Cheers, Macjim.

...and extrapolating your point I take it that no four thirds based based camera ever took a quality image, right?

Wrong: yes, you can get good images from micro 4/3rds, but not as good as the X1 produces now — it is recognised by Getty for it's images. So, I'm my mind, it's a step back for Leica especially when they're known for the lens and image quality. Now, I have a Leica, and its the D-Lux 5. Yes, it's just a Panasonic with a new look and it's a comparatively small sensor, and it produces exceptional images but, it's larger than micro 4/3 & 4/3 sensors. The X2, if that's what it will be called, has to have the same sensor size or it can't be a X1 replacement. What I think will happen is Leica will bring out a new model based on the DMC-GF3. I've got nothing against 4/3 or micro 4/3rd ad they are very popular but I'll argue you can't get the depth of field from them as you will from full frame, or aps-c size sensors.

Cheers, Macjim.

Hi Adde. Welcome to SC.

I'm not sure if the lens in question is an actual Leica lens. The key word is 'branded'. The Panasonic 45 2.8 is a Leica branded lens that is already available. Leica are lending their name and their credibility to certain Panasonic lenses (for a sizeable fee no doubt) in the same way that Zeiss lend theirs to Sony.

That's not to say that Leica might not bring out a Leica branded Panasonic M43 camera at some point (and charge twice as much for it) but for the 'real' Leicas it's hard to see.

The lenses are designed by Leica but are not made by them, but made under licence to exacting standards.

Cheers, Macjim.

I doubt it. Although I've never used an X1, it apparently produces pretty good IQ in a smaller package than the X100. I don't see Leica needing to make the X2 even smaller and using a sensor that is smaller than an APS-C.

I think a X2 would be awesome if Leica puts a VF on a X1 and sticks a miniaturized 24 Lux on it. Unfortunately, Leica would then be charging $6-7K for it!

Yes, I would love to see the X2 as in the style of the X100 with an optical viewfinder and/or similar to the X100 viewfinder.

Cheers, Macjim.

It would be interesting and exciting if Leica could follow the X100's style and keep the costs below the $2000 mark. I make no bones about loving my X100. I did have the X1 and thought the files were fantastic, I just wanted more controls...and thus went the Fuji way, but I'm all for more beautifully made cameras with fantastic image quality.:th_salute:

Here's a quote from Amateur Photographer about a future CPC camera: 'The camera will feature a sensor at least as large as an APS-size', said Leica CEO Alfred Schopf. If that is true then that is good news as the larger sized sensor will keep the picture quality that I commented on earlier. Can't wait for the next Photokina show next year. Oh, and the new issue (Amateur Photographer 25 June) out this week has a nice review of the NEX-C3.

Back