Fuji X20 and the OVF

bobby68

I have just received my X20, and while the battery was charging, looked around on the camera.

When I looked in the optical viewfinder, I got a little bit disappointed. The view was dark and not clear at all, not what I had expected.

Then I plugged the charged battery back in, and took the first picture, and to my surprise, the viewfinder was now very clear and bright. I pulled the battery, and the OVF was again dark and muddy.

What's happening here? I know the OVF have an electronic layer, but does that mean that the camera use battery, even if it is off?

Hello, bobby68 and welcome to FujiXspot!

I'm hoping one of our members who has the X20 will come to your aid and let you know what's up with this situation, in the mean time we're very glad to have you here.

Welcome and congratulations with your new X20. There is nothing wrong with your OVF or camera (unless it fully darkens). There is a visible difference when you look through the viewfinder with or without the battery. You can still look through the viewfinder but it looks a bit "muddy" ad misty as you say. An I'm inclined to agree that it has to do with the electronic overlay. It's a very neat feature. But every advantage has its disadvantage, as a famous Dutch football/soccer player once said.

It may be disappointing at first, but that will probably quickly fade away. You won't be able to shoot without battery anyway. ;-)

Enjoy your X20. It's a fine camera.

Best wishes,

Peter

Welcome and congratulations with your new X20. There is nothing wrong with your OVF or camera (unless it fully darkens). There is a visible difference when you look through the viewfinder with or without the battery. You can still look through the viewfinder but it looks a bit "muddy" ad misty as you say. An I'm inclined to agree that it has to do with the electronic overlay. It's a very neat feature. But every advantage has its disadvantage, as a famous Dutch football/soccer player once said.

It may be disappointing at first, but that will probably quickly fade away. You won't be able to shoot without battery anyway. ;-)

Enjoy your X20. It's a fine camera.

Best wishes,

Peter

I'm not nervous about something being wrong with my camera. It's working as it should. It's a really great camera. I also got a XF1and like both.

I'm just curious about the reason why the display darkens, when the battery is out of the camera. And if it means that the camera will use current, even if not in use, so if I don't use it for a period, it will loose power?

Back