Fuji X20 Arrival, First Shots (many)

afkenner

Regular
Ordered X20 in silver from Kenmore Camera on Friday (Washington State), paid $3 extra for USPS Priority Mail, received it on Monday in NY.
Thanks to Fujirumors for posting updated availability and eBay/paypal for making it possible to order using an iPhone in a moving car (NOT the driver!). What a world.

Unboxing:
dscf2422.png

What's under the styrofoam?
dscf2423.png

What's in the black box?
dscf2424.png

Show it to FujiXspot!
dscf2429.png

Okay, enough of that. It's a tool. What can it DO? All shots are jpeg SOOC, only resized (except two cropped as noted).

First shot taken (forgot to switch out of Auto ISO, so this ISO800 f/4.5 is a good comparison with the second shot)
dscf0001_sm.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

(click image above for FULL SIZE SOOC jpeg - 3.7MB)

Second shot taken (ISO100, f/2.2)
dscf0002_sm.jpg

(click image above for FULL SIZE SOOC jpeg - 3.0MB)

Three more indoor flowers, with 100% crops from each (all ISO100)

Flower 1
dscf0014_sm.jpg

100% crop from above:
0014_at_100.jpg

Flower 2:
dscf0015_sm.jpg

100% crop from above:
0015_at_100.jpg

Flower 3:
dscf0018_sm.jpg

100% crop from above:
0018_at_100.jpg

Inevitable cat picture - meet Paddington and his begrudging tolerance for fill flash:
dscf0034_sm.jpg

Inside the piano, very dark in here:
dscf0051_sm.jpg

Inside the piano, looking up at the lid:
dscf0054_sm.jpg

Okay, now for a little extra gadget fun. Inside the piano, manual exposure, EF-20 flash off camera, triggered with a pair of Yongnuo RF-603C wireless remotes.
dscf0073_sm.jpg

Hey, it's SPRING today! Let's go outside, just for a minute.

Some actual growing flowers (cropped and resized, no other adjustments)
dscf0076_crop_sm.jpg

dscf0077_crop_sm.jpg

And for a last kick, here's some sky with contrast, supposedly a challenge for this camera:
dscf0090_sm.jpg

That's it for this lengthy post. The X100S is arriving tomorrow, we'll see what that one will do on day one out of the box.

Congratulations with your new cam. It is a pleasure looking at your photos!
The lowers are beautiful.
And it's a new world indeed.
Have fun with the camera(s)!
Peter

Afkenner, Congrats on your X20 and soon Coming X100s, your loading up dbl barrel style. Flower #2 my fav. Looks like you are crafting nice images already.
Dennis.

Thanks Peter and Dennis! I'm loving this compact little Fuji already.

I meant to give a glimpse of this handy little setup - this is the EF-20 with Yongnuo RF-603C trigger on a Canon flash stand. Incredibly small and featherweight, definitely going to be part of the complete Fuji accessory bag.

ef-20_yn603c-0096.jpg
ef-20_yn603c-0093.jpg

Thanks for these and congrats on your new X! Gorgeous silver and black body! photo 4 is funny, and am really impressed with the detail and color in the photos. I particularly likes the photo of the cat and close up of piano strings.

I think I ordered one of these by accident today, I was cleaning my keyboard and it went off. Actually I was bumming about the x100s not shipping (to me) yet and purchased it as a consolation prize.

Glad to hear you are getting both, so I guess I'm not the only lunatic here. (How do you justify having both?) I need an excuse.

Hey Adam, great images! What a fun camera to shoot, eh?

Mitch, I'd say your excuse is sometimes needing smaller size and zoom and others uncompromised image quality - both in small, great to shoot cameras.

I think I ordered one of these by accident today, I was cleaning my keyboard and it went off. Actually I was bumming about the x100s not shipping (to me) yet and purchased it as a consolation prize.

Glad to hear you are getting both, so I guess I'm not the only lunatic here. (How do you justify having both?) I need an excuse.

I'm taking a photo trip to Cuba in a few weeks. I think most people on the trip will be shooting with DSLRs and a bag of lenses, I couldn't see lugging all that gear around in hot weather and still enjoying myself, so I avoided committing to the trip until it was already sold out. Then I got my hands on the X100 and fell for it completely. Right around the same time, a spot opened up in the Cuba trip at the last minute, and I signed on, planning to bring ONLY the X100. Then, the X100S pre-release hype started, reviews started popping up, it's available now, who can resist all the apparent improvements?

As for the X20, well, I have to admit I still have some concern about "only" having 35mm and 28mm on a trip like this, so this very compact and lightweight second camera gives me zoom range as well as a backup body. Cuba is my excuse!

Now I need to justify the used X-Pro1 with "kit" zoom I bought (and haven't pressed the shutter once, despite carrying it with me twice). Instead of justifying, it's going back up for sale soon, probably along with the much-appreciated X100.

I'm taking a photo trip to Cuba in a few weeks. I think most people on the trip will be shooting with DSLRs and a bag of lenses, I couldn't see lugging all that gear around in hot weather and still enjoying myself,

Have fun in Cuba. And please, please, please take some shots if their faces at the end of a long carry-things-around-day. Some may feel sorry for you. Others will envy you but won't say it. And we will think about you having a blast. I am looking forward to some nice street, car, music, and cigar shots!

Any reason why you haven't used the x-pro? I was thinking about buying the next model, specifically for ultra-wide and macro. But buying a used model might be an option too (depending on the price of ourse ;-) ). Could you send me a message if you plan to sell the x-pro1? That might be an interesting option too.

Peter

PS: I am waiting for Ming Thein's course in Europe in the second part if this year. That will be my first course so I'm expecting to learn a lot!

Cuba? Wow!

Sounds like a great trip. The photos I've seen from there have been spectacular. Though they are mostly of Cohiba's and plantations. ;-)

The combo makes sense. I used an X100/X10 combo in South Africa in 2011, and that worked pretty well. Example set: Khayelitsha 2011 - a set on Flickr

Thanks, Rico.

Your set from SA is great, lots of character and personality in the people and a real feeling of the place itself. Would not have expected conical party hats and cupcakes, but maybe some things are universal now. Great panoramas in the set, that's one feature of the X-series I haven't explored yet, I know I need to be comfortable with it before the trip begins so I can remember it's available. There's a blue mood to all of your SA shots that I'm guessing you added in post, I like the feeling it creates.

Do you have a sense of how often you used the X100 vs. the X10 while on that trip? Seemed about even in your Flickr set. I'm imagining that I will be using the X100S almost all the time, and only using the X20 for zoom reach.

A few more from the X20 today, these floral has-beens are shot in RAW and processed in LR4.4.

oldflowers-0147.jpg

oldflowers-0148.jpg

oldflowers-0150.jpg

oldflowers-0159.jpg

Back