Fuji X20, DNG converter 7.4 and Aperture

theoldsmithy

Hall of Famer
Name
Martin Connolly
Has anyone with an X20 (lucky so & so's - still waiting for mine) tried converting a raw file with the latest DNG converter and processing in Aperture? I'll have a go if anyone can send me a raw file :)

My understanding of converting X-Trans raw files to DNG is that it doesn't deal with the de-mosaic-ing problem. So you'd be able to process the DNG in Aperture, but it would still have all of the problems that early raw processers had with the raw files. I'd imagine it would work, but you're probably better off doing raw conversions in the camera or just shooting jpegs. Or, now that Lightroom and Capture 1 seem to have worked out the X-Trans demosaic issues, switch to one of those.

-Ray

My understanding of converting X-Trans raw files to DNG is that it doesn't deal with the de-mosaic-ing problem.

Is that still the case even for the latest DNG converter? It's on the same Adobe Labs page as ACR 7.4 which lists the X20 as supported:
"Camera Raw 7.4 Release Candidate includes a correction to the demosaic algorithms for Fujifilm cameras with the X-Trans sensor. This specifically impacts the following cameras:

Fujifilm X-Pro1
Fujifilm X-E1
Fujifilm X100S
Fujifilm X20"

Edit - I have posted a question on the Adobe forums so we'll see what they say...

As ACR 7.4 is a release candidate, is it even offered as the DNG converter? Camera RAW and DNG Converter applications are typically offered as separate downloads.

This is where I have downloaded the converter from: it's on the ACR 7.4RC download page, and the DNG converter options become visible when you tick the "accept t&cs" box
View attachment 758

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 302
Is that still the case even for the latest DNG converter? It's on the same Adobe Labs page as ACR 7.4 which lists the X20 as supported:
"Camera Raw 7.4 Release Candidate includes a correction to the demosaic algorithms for Fujifilm cameras with the X-Trans sensor. This specifically impacts the following cameras:

Fujifilm X-Pro1
Fujifilm X-E1
Fujifilm X100S
Fujifilm X20"

Edit - I have posted a question on the Adobe forums so we'll see what they say...

Good question - not sure. I'll be interested in what you find out...

-Ray

Got this message back:
"The DNG converter simply creates a new wrapper for the raw image data. The actual raw processing is done by Camera Raw or Lightroom. So you would have to be using ACR 7.4 in order to see those changes in your images. If you are converting to DNG for compatibility with an older version of Photoshop/ACR then you won't be able to realize those corrections in your images."
So it looks like I will be shelling out for Lightroom as well as Aperture...rats

Back