Fuji X20 Dynamic Range question

Ian Knight

Regular
I have been reading your how to expand Dynamic Range . Although I usually shoot Raw at DR 100% and ETTR I was intrigued that the shot you took of the model was shot using the internal Jpeg DR function.
If this function is used on the X20 at DR400% and iso 400 does add extra noise reduction compared to if I shot in DR100% at 100 iso ( obviously the highlights may well be blown? ) in jpeg .

Thanks Ian

Sent from my iPad using FujiXspot

If DR400% is necessary to protect the highlights of a subject, the RAW should not be much different from an ETTR RAW. Think about it: Why should there be a difference in adaptive ISO applied by the camera and the same adaptive ISO manually applied in Lightroom during PP? In the end, noise differences come down to different NR settings in different RAW converters. As we know, the X20 JPEG engine isn't that great in keeping shadow detail at DR400%. That's one of several reasons why I like the X30 so much better.

Yes, I get that Rico. It does make perfect sense :rolleyes:

Yep, the only grave mistake one could make is combining DR400% with an ETTR exposure on the highlights. It's easy to overlook a DR setting, and the LCD of the X20 doesn't simulate DR settings and always shows a DR100% preview and histogram.

Of course, the X30 features DR preview, which I think is a big help for practical reasons. WYSIWYG.

I nearly always use the Histogram as a guide.
If I was shooting raw at Dr100% and I was over exposing by 1 stop I am assuming that there should be enough highlight headroom as not to blow them. If this is the case then the shadows should hold more information I guess?.
If that is the case compared to shooting in Raw at DR400% ( iso 800 ) does this mean that the shadows have less information registered than the above DR100% method even though the external or internal processors are compensating for this when processing ?.

Cheers Ian

The sensor in the X20/X30/XQ1 can be overexposed about 2/3 EV if you use an external RAW workflow. Depends on the software used, of course.

There's no need for ISO 800 at DR400%. ISO 400 will suffice, it's only 2 stops of additional highlights. EXR cameras like the X10 offered more by combining EXR and traditional adaptive ISO.

Thanks Rico for the info, it is appreciated ...my mistake re iso 800...I did indeed meant to put iso 400...I've been reading to many of your articles where the base iso is 200...such as the xt1...cheers ian

Sent from my XT1032 using FujiXspot mobile app

Back