Fuji x20 for skiing and cycling

dannykap

I have recently begun a quest to focus less on camera gear and spend more time actually taking pictures. I have sold my canon 7d DSLR, lenses and several speedlites. I loved to own and use this gear, but I found I wasn't taking it out and using it nearly as much as I should. Now seems a good time to have sold the 7d with an updated model on the horizon, which I imagine will soon begin to eat away at its used value. I also sold my Canon s95 compact camera, which I used to use far more often than the DSLR purely because it was so much easier to pack and have with me.

I have decided to pick up an x20 to use as my only camera for around a year. In that time, I intend to save up for (hopefully!) the successor to the X-E1 and a couple of lenses. I am, however, attracted to the simplicity of owning only one camera for a while and not having to worry about dragging bagfuls of camera gear around whenever I go on holiday.

I mostly take family photos at home and on holidays, and I take occasional portraits of friends and family using off camera flash. I still have some manual flashes and triggers, which I hope to use with the x20 on occasion, so I think this camera will do me for most of my shooting needs, at least for a while. However, the one aspect I am unsure of is skiing and cycling holidays. For these, I used to use the s95, which was easy to slide into a pocket and forget about. I realise the x20 is larger, but does anyone have experience of using this (or more likely at this stage the x10 which is the same size and shape) on such holidays? Do you keep it in a pocket or in a case around your neck? I also have some concerns about how robust it might be to the cold temperatures and the odd knock while skiing. I would be very grateful for any insights. Can you put my mind at rest or do you think I should also pick up a small compact to supplement it for active holidays? Thanks!

Hi dannykap,

I actually just posted some insight about my experience with the X10 and cycling in the 'X20 and RX100 - subjective POV' thread which may be helpful. As for skiing, I've used both the S90 and X10 on the slopes and that would be where the smaller camera has a slight advantage, IMO. the size make it a little friendlier in a ski jacket and the fact that the lens doesn't jut out gave me a little more peace of mind in the event that I took a spill and landed on it. Having said that, there is no doubt that the X10/20 is built much better and tougher and the larger controls and manual zoom made the actually aspect of shooting with a gloved hand a bit more enjoyable (my liner glover that is...still had to remove the mittens)

I use the X10 as my "instant access" camera while hiking and mountain biking: around my neck inside my outer jacket or fleece. In order to be able to take it out and shoot as quickly and easily as possible, I put a lens hood and clear protection filter on it, so there is no need for a lens cap or case, and the lens is protected from water/dirt. On one occasion, when the camera swung and hit a branch while jumping over a stream, it was the lens hood which took the knock. The glass in the filter came loose, but the camera was fine. Keeping it round the neck inside a jacket also keeps it warm. For me, this is a great backwoods camera: not so big to be lumpy and uncomfortable, easy to use in all conditions, and with great image quality and the manual controls like exposure compensation, which I use so often when I have to take a picture from where I am at a particular moment. If you plan to go out on speedboats in sea spray, you might want a cheaper compact, but you'll probably still wish you had the image quality from the X10/20!

I use my X10 whilst out cycling, both on day rides from home and cycle touring.
On day rides I keep the camera in a side pocket of my Carradice saddlebag, and while touring I have it in a CCS pouch around my waist, both give quick access to the camera.
In October I spent 10 days cycle touring in Murcia region of Spain, the photos are here Spain 2012
I really like the X10 apart from the occasional unpleasant blue lens flare, some examples here x10 lens flare and I have noticed the same flare present on a couple of sample X20 images I've seen.
Another downside of the X10 for cycle touring/camping is the very poor battery life, I carried 5 batteries on my 10 day trip in Spain, and used them all, and recharged a couple of them.
Otherwise a great camera.

View attachment 811

View attachment 812

View attachment 813

Attachments

• DSCF2873.jpg
    DSCF2873.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 381
  • DSCF3014.jpg
    DSCF3014.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 226
  • DSCF3081_0_0a.jpg
    DSCF3081_0_0a.jpg
    433.4 KB · Views: 161
One option for carrying the X20 while skiing, biking or other sports would be a padded and water proofed bag. They make them in padded and water resistant as well as full on waterproof too. The padding will protect it in a fall and watwrproofing would prevent snow from ruining it. Depending on the pouch design you could either carry it like a shoulder bag or on a belt. They also make some that are like fannypacks.

Thanks a lot all. Some great advice here, and lovely photos @ripio.
I have ordered a Lowpro Apex 60 pouch, which looks as though it should do a good job of protecting the camera. Now just need the camera to arrive! Amazon emailed me this morning to tell me my pre-order that was supposed to be delivered today has been delayed:(

Thanks a lot all. Some great advice here, and lovely photos @ripio.
I have ordered a Lowpro Apex 60 pouch, which looks as though it should do a good job of protecting the camera. Now just need the camera to arrive! Amazon emailed me this morning to tell me my pre-order that was supposed to be delivered today has been delayed:(

If I might ask, where are you located (US?) and when did you put n your order? I still haven't heard a peep for amazon...

Back