Fuji X20: I am happy with my gear, I am happy with my gear, I am happy with my gear...

and the battle between desire and logical, BEGIN! :D

No kidding, and just when I thought it was safe to browse the camera forums again...

My NEX-crush passed a while ago, and was really laid to rest when I experienced how good faux-focus peaking is on the E-M5 (I kept thinking about an NEX body to shoot MF lenses).

Then I finally beat back the X-E1 desire, and while I knew an X20 was coming sometime soon I had convinced myself that unless they threw a 1" sensor in it I wasn't jumping up to purchase. But those damn engineers at Fuji have tempted me yet again. The potential for much better video is something I'm currently clinging to as a justification. I don't shoot lots of video, but I really like the idea of shooting more. Especially if it is higher quality.

Now what's the big difference between the X10 and 20, again?:tongue:

Senosr (X-trans, so smaller version of what's in the X-Pro, X-E1, and X100s - no more EXR pixel binning) and lots of information in the OVF. Oh, and PDAF/CDAF auto-focus which should be a lot faster in good light and ????? in low light (and focus peaking)? Other than that, maybe some minor stuff, but I think those are the biggies. The information in the OVF will be very very cool from a gadget lovers perspective but the improvements in AF and improvements/tradeoffs with the sensor are the things it will be very interesting to check out in terms of just how good they are or aren't...

-Ray

Thanks, Ray. I can always count on you to explain things in a way that I can understand.:drinks:

Armando, what about that sweet bride of yours? What is her camera these days?:tongue:

I will just go back to my restoration, cleaning, painting, packing, spending on the new old house and getting the current old house ready to rent....and dream of, I think, the XE-1...and try to make more use of my other Xs.: (And I don't mean husbands - only have the one.):D

Thanks, Ray. I can always count on you to explain things in a way that I can understand.:drinks:

Armando, what about that sweet bride of yours? What is her camera these days?:tongue:

I will just go back to my restoration, cleaning, painting, packing, spending on the new old house and getting the current old house ready to rent....and dream of, I think, the XE-1...and try to make more use of my other Xs.: (And I don't mean husbands - only have the one.):D

She's still just using the Canon S90 (formerly mine). Almost got "her" a Fuji XF1 (in red of course), but ended up getting her a Ruger SR22 pistol! Took her out to the range one time, and she actually enjoyed putting a few rounds on the bullseye.

I might sell my XE1 if you are interested! Has about 400 frames on it, primarily taking photos inside the house for no good reason! I've taken it out of the house once! I need to start selling some stuff off again -- to justify buying more stuff! I'm looking forward to the X-Pro2! Or the X-Pro1S!!

I don't care about the samples. I remember when the first X100 samples were put up and they were nothing to get excited about. For anyone who needs or wants a new camera, I bet you this will be a fine one. Honestly don't we all know that we could all be handed the same camera and there would be a wide range of "quality" in the photographs? Some love sooc (straight out of the camera) and others love to manipulate... Wait until you see a barrage of examples on Flickr and/or by someone who knows their stuff.;)

Argh.

I can't stop looking/thinking about the X20. Could this replace my m43 kit? RX100? Both? (keep my full frame)

I use a variety of gear including m4/3 and the X10. I bought the X10 because I liked the compact size of my m4/3 cameras with a short prime lens but I felt they were just a little too big with a zoom lens attached ... and the smaller zoom lenses all had slow apertures. The X10 with its f/2-2.8 zoom lens has been great ... but I wouldn't call it a "direct" replacement for my Pen cameras or OM-D. The image quality from the X10 (and I imagine the X20) is great, but sometimes you need the flexibility of a wider lens or a longer lens.

You probably could replace the RX100 with the X20 (or the X10 for that matter) but if you're happy with your Pen cameras and fast primes you will likely find that the X20 is "a little" limiting in terms of focal lengths and apertures from time to time.

Still, I love the X10. I probably won't buy the X20 unless something horrible happens to my X10.

I don't care about the samples. I remember when the first X100 samples were put up and they were nothing to get excited about. For anyone who needs or wants a new camera, I bet you this will be a fine one. Honestly don't we all know that we could all be handed the same camera and there would be a wide range of "quality" in the photographs? Some love sooc (straight out of the camera) and others love to manipulate... Wait until you see a barrage of examples on Flickr and/or by someone who knows their stuff.;)

I agree, BB. Keeping in mind how samples have looked for lots of other cameras in recent years, I'd say these samples look great and expect the camera to do very well. Hopefully Adobe and Phase One will support the new Fuji RAW files soon.

Back