Fuji X20: I am happy with my gear, I am happy with my gear, I am happy with my gear...

wt21

Hall of Famer
Argh.

I can't stop looking/thinking about the X20. Could this replace my m43 kit? RX100? Both? (keep my full frame)

Gotta look for those little white orbs first, though. But it's XTRAN, right, and not EXR sensor, so the issue should only be RAW conversion?

will have to check high ISO and compare both to my current EPL3 and also EPL5. Give them both a shot to compare.

I would never see it as an m43 replacement, although depending on how limited a set of lenses you use with m43, maybe it'd be something to look into. But I seriously doubt the sensor will be competitive with those in the new Olympus bodies. As an RX100 replacement, I'd be surprised if the X20 sensor will beat the RX100, but if it comes close to being as good, its a much different camera and might be worth consideration depending on your preferences. I personally didn't like the RX100 and loved the X10 and would love the X20 (although probably not as much as the LX7). It'll have a much faster lens than the RX100 except at the widest settings, and its a much much MUCH more tactilely pleasing camera to shoot with if you like making adjustments on the fly. This is purely my opinion of course, but its a pretty strong one...

-Ray

It's not even available yet so no need to get excited at this point. Just use what you have right now and when it becomes available look for examples and feedback on people's experience with it. It depends on your wants/needs too. Maybe you can share more about that for more specific feedback.

Yes, yes, you're happy with your gear -- says your good angel.

But wouldn't you be even happier with newer gear? -- says your bad angel.

They both have a point. I don't see an X20 replacing a late generation m4/3, but the X10 is an awful lot of fun, and mine, with the sensor replacement, has produced nary an orb, and I shot into a big, specular reflection as soon as I got it.

The X10/20 vs RX100 comes down to how you like to shoot I think. The sony sensor has an acknowledged advantage, at least to the X10, but it does not have an eye-level viewfinder, and that has become a deal breaker for me. But it's a personal thing. I will say that my experience with the X10 has me looking seriously at an XE-1 or X100S. I have an E-M5, which I absolutely love, and I don't need another mirrorless system, but I do want that Fuji. It's a different shooting experience, and if you are like me you "see" in terms of the camera you have on you. I love my OM film cameras, but I love my rangefinders too, and would not want to have to choose just one system. The X100S' rangefinder style manual focusing is very tempting, but I'm not sure I can pay the premium for it.

Anyway, my attitude is: If you want it and can afford it, go for it. You can always sell it if you make a mistake, and if you're quick about it, recoup most of your investment.

Yes, I know, I'm the voice of your bad angel.

I really like the sound of the X20 - but it's hard for me to justify now that I have a brand-new Oly E-PM2 with the new 16mp sensor. But the X100S might be a different story. Oh, who am I kdding? I want both and I don't want to sell any of my other gear! Throw in the new Pentax MX-1 or a Panny LX7 as well for good measure! :tongue:

I really like the sound of the X20 - but it's hard for me to justify now that I have a brand-new Oly E-PM2 with the new 16mp sensor. But the X100S might be a different story. Oh, who am I kdding? I want both and I don't want to sell any of my other gear! Throw in the new Pentax MX-1 or a Panny LX7 as well for good measure! :tongue:

LOL! I'm with you. I'm telling myself that I'm just going to get the X20, and don't really "need" the X100s. I also like the look of the Pentax MX-1. Prettier camera than the Oly XZ2.

Back