Fuji X20 Images really not good news.

I'm just as happy with my X10, which is basically a 6 MP camera. It's also possible to get nice JPEGs our of the camera, but I'd recommend NR -1 (or -2) and DR100% or DR200%, not DR400%.

Rico, any thoughts on what is going on with the X20's JPG engine? Are your first three photos in post #24 shot in RAW and converted to JPG with the camera's built-in converter? If yes, in the X20, is there a difference in the results of shooting RAW and converting to JPG with the built-in converter vs. straight JPG photos?

Not sure if you had the opportunity to look at these photos. The smearing of the faces (even at these low ISO photos) is bad.

FUJIX20 0021 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

FUJIX20 0022 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

My X20 has been returned.
Tried an X100s now looking for smeary JPegs from that...I hope they've got that right.

Sorry mate. I really want to get the X20 for the OVF (which was the only thing in the X10 I thought could be better) ... but ... aargh ... I better wait and see.

Rico: those jpegs look good to me. What are your settings?

I shot a pro low light last night that seems to look reasonable good as well, so the jpeg engine appears to be inconsistent. But it is not something I would feel comfortable counting on at this point.

Rico, any thoughts on what is going on with the X20's JPG engine? Are your first three photos in post #24 shot in RAW and converted to JPG with the camera's built-in converter? If yes, in the X20, is there a difference in the results of shooting RAW and converting to JPG with the built-in converter vs. straight JPG photos?

Not sure if you had the opportunity to look at these photos. The smearing of the faces (even at these low ISO photos) is bad.

Those images are DR200% (probability: 99.8%) and too much NR. I don't shoot like this with the X20. NR -1 is my standard setting, with DR200% I'd probably use NR -2.

Here are two more RAW versions:

8609908910_b480fcbe8c_c.jpg

DSCF0626 - RAW by ricopress, on Flickr

8609568157_75f8e1137e_c.jpg

DSCF0626 - Lightroom by ricopress, on Flickr

The last one is my LR template TIFF, balanced for further PP, I can basically go anywhere with this kind of file. Looks very natural, too. Some might say boring, some love it, it depends.

One thing in the EXIF data for both those photos may also be playing a part:

Sharpness {0xA40A} = hard (2)

I've been using NR -1 or -2 and sharpness = 0 since day one. The full res shots available before US X20s arrived had the same excessive NR problems as seen here. It's easy enough to tweak jpgs for details afterward. I shoot Raw+Fine whenever the X20 allows but really want to get good .jpgs -- at the very least to get good results from Pro Focus and other .jpg only features.

Bob G

I'm just as happy with my X10, which is basically a 6 MP camera. It's also possible to get nice JPEGs our of the camera, but I'd recommend NR -1 (or -2) and DR100% or DR200%, nit DR400%.

Thanks flysurfer, just set my NR to -2 and what a difference to the definition and clarity!

Great advice.

John

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back