Fuji X20 ISO Test

And again it looks pretty similar to the X10. Looks pretty good at 1600, breaks down slowly between there and 3200, and isn't particularly useable at 3200. I'm gonna have to get hold of one of these to see how it does in night time shooting - too many of these ISO comparisons are done in conditions with a fair amount of light, which is not when I'd be shooting with high ISO. But I guess they're still somewhat useful comparatively.

-Ray

Thanks Jimbo. You can see the noise and sharpness trend by looking at a low contrast detail like "Two Way Power" at the top of the calculator. Every notch up takes a little away but to my eye you have to get into the ISO1000 and 2000 range before things start to fall apart.

Ray makes a good point about low-light conditions and real-world times when the upper ISOs would be used. Often you take a double hit from the sensor's declining acuity and an image that gets to the sensor after losing a bit from motion blur and/or the kind of lighting that doesn't emphasize detail.

Back