Fuji X20 Low Light Test

OK, that's pretty damn good. JPEGS, so you have to assume some amount of inevitable NR, but handled well, and I tend to shoot my Fuji's in jpeg anyway. These appear to be on par with the RX100 - easily useable through 3200, semi-usable even at 6400. Combined with the faster lens and having a better (to ME) camera attached to the sensor, this would become an easy call for me if I wanted a compact to do everything. I should get to check one out soon - now I'm starting to really look forward to it...

-Ray

At 2048 pixels, iso 3200 does look usable for those particular shooting conditions. Not sure how it will hold up at full 12mp though. Not that I ever print that many full size photos anyway!!

Darn ... maybe I shouldn't have canceled my BH pre-order!!

Ray I've just gone into a cupboard and shot a wine bottle with my X10 at ISO3200 1/13th sec large resolution.
Looks much the same to me - perhaps slightly less processing on the X10.

Too many cameras in recent years have failed to match the IQ of their predecessors....the Leica X2 , Lumix LX5 and the Sony A55 to name just 3.
All received good reviews from the usual suspects at the time and I bought in good faith only to be disappointed.

The X20 looks like a wonderful compact and the improvement in the OVF is really welcome but I'm not seeing any compelling reason to upgrade...yet!

They look good. I usually shoot raw + LF jpeg and give my raw to tiff less noise reduction than just about anyone's in camera jpeg engine, but these are very encouraging.

I sold my X10 and am already missing it, so the X20 is on my short list of things to get.

Back