Fuji X20 or Ricoh GR? My head is spinning from so much consideration. Help. HELP!

Bob Moon

I take pictures of the natural world almost exclusively. I used to shoot film and I still enjoy composing a shot, taking my time, and expecting a good result in the same way I shot with film. Film seemed simple to me, and I like simple.

I carry a camera with me at all times. I have carried several high end compact digital cameras over the years, the most resent being a Canon S95. It has been a good camera for me but I feel like it is time to move on.

I just received a Fuji X20 and I have yet to read the manual. I have a Ricoh GR on order from B&H. Based on the answers I get I may cancel the Ricoh order. I am very limited in my understanding of digital photography and the terms involved. I am not particularly interested in the digital world, but I am very interested in the natural world. Here are my questions.

1. The Fuji X20 has a .39" marco capability. The Ricoh GR has a nearly 4" macro limit. If the Ricoh image is cropped, could it potentially look as good as the Fuji image considering the APS-C sensor in the Ricoh?

2. I am not interested in post production manipulation. Have the jpegs been satisfying out of the Fuji X20 for you?

3. I have read that the Fuji X20 blurs low contrast details at distances. If this is true is there a setting that you have discovered that improves the appearance of trees and grasses?

Please include any of your ideas and experiences that have been important for you in capturing realistic images of the natural world. I really appreciate your help. I am sick of thinking about cameras and just want to get out and shoot. :eek:

get out and shoot
you answered your concerns, forget about technical aspects only if you print 30"x40" and up then consider technical details. The X-20 should be more than enough to capture the "natural" world as you see it.

Hey there ghostdog and welcome to FujiXspot! I've moved your first thread out of the Nature section which is an image thread forum into this Open Discussion forum where I believe more people will see your thread... I know you're mainly asking about the X20, however you've also thrown the Ricoh into the mix.

I hope you get some more helpful feedback. I have the Fuji X10 and have found it to be an excellent camera. Interestingly I use it in jpeg mode where as with the X100 I use the RAW files, though the jpegs are excellent as well.

Unfortunately I can't help you with the X20 and its Xtrans sensor, however I know others will be able to.

I think the most important consideration you should make is whether or not the fixed focal length of the Ricoh GR will suit what your shooting tastes are. You say you're coming from an S95 which offers a zoom range. If you find you change focal lengths a lot for your shots, you may find the GR and its fixed focal length lens limiting. I do not own a Fuji X20 so I'll leave it to others to comment on its JPEGs and macro capability.

I think the most important consideration you should make is whether or not the fixed focal length of the Ricoh GR will suit what your shooting tastes are. You say you're coming from an S95 which offers a zoom range. If you find you change focal lengths a lot for your shots, you may find the GR and its fixed focal length lens limiting. I do not own a Fuji X20 so I'll leave it to others to comment on its JPEGs and macro capability.

Agree with this regarding the ability to zoom but also wanted to add that I had a GR that I used for a lot of close up work. Whatever camera I have- I am compelled to get in close. Remember none of them have true macro so if you want to get in tight you either crop the image to emphasize the area you want to spotlight or you can use a close-up filter on an adapter to magnify your shots. The close-ups that I did take with the GR in macro mode were absolutely stunning. If you are too close to the subject the lens will hunt. You can back up, recompose and generally squeeze in a little to tweak but it is what it is. I have not tried the X20 so can not compare. Since the GR is on order perhaps you should try each of them and sell off whichever doesn't do it for you. If you don't try you will keep wondering.

I gave my wife an X10 and I own a Ricoh GR, I believe as every 'new' camera, that the X20 is 'better' than the X10, but If I had to buy this camera for me i wouldnt take the X10 over the Ricoh GR. For obvious reasons (sensor size), the Ricoh GR is simply on a different league from the X10. But like some others have said you re stucked at 28mm eventhough it has a crop mode to use the camera as a 35mm camera at 11 point something megapixels. Which is alsmot like a classic X100 in terms of resolution.

If you come from a 'zoom' camera, then yes the X20 makes the obvious decision over the GR, but if you want to try something different the GR is honestly hard to beat.

And yes, im a huge fan of the Ricoh GR. This is my honest 2 cents.

Back