Fuji X20 - OVF 'blurs' during zooming

JohnX

I tried a couple of different X20 cameras in different stores and noted that after I'd set up the diopter adjustment so that the OVF was sharp, that the OVF image blurred as I zoomed the lens.

This can't be right can it?

Surely the OVF is set up hyperfocally so that everything is in focus at all times and the fov simply changes as the lens is zoomed?

Or is it me :rolleyes:

I have found the same thing as you JohnX: The diopter focus does not "hold" during zooming...

I just readjust it now & then when I notice that it's getting a little too blurry for me :-(. Perhaps Rico could explain a better way of doing this?

Michel

At last. Thanks Michel. Someone with the same experience! Thought it was just me.

I've posted this on several Fuji sites and none of the responses, although helpful, actually acknowledge this as a 'feature' of the X20.

Yeah JohnX, I noticed all posts over at DPreview!
I noticed the "focus effect" when I tried to set the diopter at different focal lengths and found the difference... Honestly though, it has not been a problem for me (and I wear glasses). As I said, every now and then I re-adjust it when when I start to notice that it seems a little too out of focus.
The X20 is a great little camera: it's unique, it's a little old school, it works great and you can always upgrade!

Notwithstanding my reservations I bought an X20 to-day. So far I'm getting on ok with the OVF, but need to learn a lot more about the camera itself, parallax, etc. Not like my DSLR's that's for sure!

I found that once I "settled-in" with the X20, I didn't pay as much attention to the diopter... I think that you'll have fun exploring the differences of your new camera :). By the way, when you choose a mode that requires the "LED" (digital zoom, macro etc) it will stay ON auto.
View attachment 2211

Attachments

• DSCF1419.jpg
    DSCF1419.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 181
Back