Fuji X20 Retro in more than just looks.

I have been in the market for a enthusiast compact for several months. There are many models out and all have nice features and good ability. I was looking at the Olympus XZ-2 as it could share the VF-2 from my PENs but after reading about the X20 I think I have found the one for me.

On top of simply being a compact when I don't want to hassle with my M4/3 or Nikon gear is that it revives many memories from when I first started serious photography. I started out with a Nikomat{asian market Nikkormat} and a couple of lenses. As I advanced I picked up a couple of extra lenses and an old Argus C4 rangefinder. Shooting 35mm film and slide was so much fun and I learned so much, usually what not to do! When I first saw the photos of the X20 my mind rushed back to the days of old. Reading about it's features brought back even more memories.

The range of the zoom is almost perfect as my favorite trinity of lenses was a 28mm, 50mm and a 135mm. Later I got a 100mm which I would use if I knew I wouldn't need the extra reach. The zoom lens on the x20 goes from equivalent 28mm to 112mm and is even marked as such on the lens. The only way it could be more perfect is if it actually went all the way to 135mm.

I primarily shot Fuji brand film/slide back in the day and loved the colors they rendered better than any other brand. Finding out that Fuji has settings built in the X20 to simulate their best stock was a wonderful discovery. Although simulating Fuji films is easily possible in post, having it applied in-camera is a great feature.

Although it may be 6 months or so before I get one I am confident that I will love the X20. Since I am getting older I find great pleasure in reliving those days of old. Thank you Fuji for making this wonderful little camera.

Back