Fuji X20 - soft images around edges

I'm pretty sure this isn't a camera issue, but rather just my poor skills, but why am I getting incredibly soft / out of focus images at the edges when the centre of the images isn't?

Thanks in advance?

View attachment 1625
f/2 1/85sec 28mm ISO 1250 hand held

View attachment 1626
f4.5 2.5sec 28mm ISO100 on a tripod

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1366955808.818457.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1366955808.818457.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 245
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1366955842.626333.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1366955842.626333.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 242
It looks like the lens may be de-centered. That means that 1 or more elemebts is placed in the barrel out of alignment.
Try this.........shoot some photos against a flat surface....yeah, yeah a flat brick wall is best.
Use a tripod if you have access to one. Focus carefully on the bricks and then zoom to every zoom range and do every f/stop at every FOV.

Shoot at ISO 100-200 you need to see details. You should see the problem clearly.

In the old days, that would look like a faulty negative carrier or loose negative.
If you have issues and need help, feel free to call me,(pm for #) or Skype.... Streetshooter5D
don

It looks like the lens may be de-centered. That means that 1 or more elemebts is placed in the barrel out of alignment.
Try this.........shoot some photos against a flat surface....yeah, yeah a flat brick wall is best.
Use a tripod if you have access to one. Focus carefully on the bricks and then zoom to every zoom range and do every f/stop at every FOV.

Shoot at ISO 100-200 you need to see details. You should see the problem clearly.

In the old days, that would look like a faulty negative carrier or loose negative.
If you have issues and need help, feel free to call me,(pm for #) or Skype.... Streetshooter5D
don

Or perhaps see it as a feature, an X20 with tilt-shift. :) Seriously, I think Don has the right call here: probably a faulty lens element centering.

Thanks everyone, I've contacted Park Cameras 3 days before my 3 month warranty expired. They are taking it back to examine.

I really thought it was me and just thought it was poor photography skills, still might be I guess :)

I've noticed it a lot, albeit these are two of the most extreme examples and always put it down to a shallow depth of field, but clearly in the above shots the out of focus tower is the same distance from the camera as areas centre frame that are in focus.

I'll await their reply, but they were most helpful on the phone.

Thanks Don, will do. They were brilliant on the phone, no attempts to put me off, they emailed me my return reference number in seconds. Great service and no complaints so far.

Nice email from Park Cameras notifying me that my camera had arrived with them and been forwarded to Fuji for a warranty claim.

Great service by Park Cameras!

I'm not sure if my X10 had ever been back for the orbs issue, but am I right in assuming the lens and sensor are all one unit?

John

Just received a phone call from Park Cameras stating camera back from Fuji with a replaced lens under warranty.

Informed me that it will be posted back to me today, but because of bank holiday on Monday, I probably won't receive it until Tuesday.

Absolute top marks for customer service from Park Cameras and Fuji for such a quick turnaround.

I'm a very happy X10 owner

John

Mine was a used X10 bought from their second hand range. I think new here in the UK is 12 months for Fuji.

I'm glad I didn't buy it off a private seller through eBay now!

I think this was great service from Park and they were lovely people to deal with on the phone too. Very helpful and didn't try to wriggle out of anything.

Camera back today with a lovely new dust free lens.

I haven't fully tested it yet, but outstanding service by Park Cameras and Fuji.

Back