Fuji X20 vs X30 after a year

I shall preface this by saying that my X30 actually is used primarily by my wife, for shots of the kids. I use it very sparingly, as I have the X100T for my personal photography. The X30 replaced the X20 in our arsenal of cameras, shortly after it was released.

First the drawbacks (to me) of the change. The X20 looks better, if you like that retro appeal. I loved using it for that reason alone. The sharp edges of the X30 are nice, but it doesn't look like an old camera anymore. The X20 looked great in silver, the X30 less so. In hindsight, I should have got a black one.

The X30 is much bigger (deeper) than the X20, due to the articulating screen on the rear. It may not look like much, but when comparing both it's significant. I personally find this change to be a step backward in a compact camera.

There, that's it. The rest are positives. The wifi capability alone was a reason to upgrade for my wife. Being able to take a photo and upload it to Facebook 5 minutes later means everything to her. The other improvements she doesn't even notice, because she sets the camera to SR+ auto and shoots away. Arghh. That said, she is very happy with the resulting images.

I like the EVF - I hate composing using the back of the screen, so being able to see exactly what I'm taking with the camera to my eye means a lot to me. Also the customisation of the directional rear buttons is a big plus for someone used to working the same way on the X-T1 (ability to quickly move the focus point).

The other improvements (Classic Chrome, function dial around the lens etc) are great, but I don't use them. I prefer the Provia simulation for more accurate colours.

So, if I was recommending one or the other what would it be? If you don't need wifi, then get the X20. It's MUCH cheaper secondhand, and effectively the same camera as far as the images are concerned. It's a fabulous travel camera. I probably should have kept mine, but I have more cameras than I can use now anyway.

I have a black x20, it reminded me of my very first expensive camera... a Leica CL. I'm keeping mine for just that reason. I have too much kit as well, but as it were.

Love my X20. The X30 left me totally cold when it came out. The increased size, the articulated screen and above all the loss of the OVF made it blend in with the competition. I felt the Xnn series lost its mojo at that point. The fact that the X40 has never appeared proves, I think, my point.

I love my X30! And am glad that it only has an EVF. But it was never a cash cow for Fuji, so it was discontinued. Also, IIRC Sony ceased manufacture of that size sensor.

I just got one on the second hand market. I gave the Sony HX-80 to my oldest (had hardly seen any clicks). Even though the HX-80 was a near ringer for the more expensive RX-100 (albeit with the smaller sensor), the pop-up viewfinder provided hardly any eye-relief to eye-glass wearers. Even though the X30 has a smaller sensor, it's still X-Trans, and I simply transferred my 7 custom settings for SOOC JPEG from my XT-10s to the compact. Wonderful. A few more menu customizations, and even the four-way controller on the back acts just like the larger cameras - no need to retrain muscle memory.

Yes, 1" sensor peers have the advantage in size, but I honestly could not stomach any of the other compacts on the Market. The shooting experience includes how the camera fits the photographer, and for me, I wanted a compact that felt and acted just like an APS-C Fuji X. This is the only option that met standards.

Back