Fuji X30 does Winter

tonyturley

Legend
Name
Tony
I took my X30 along on a Winter whirlwind tour across four WV counties this morning, searching for the best waterfall and whitewater views. I had originally just planned on passing by Laurel Creek (first two images), but when I saw the lower falls were running strong and partially frozen, I changed my plans, backtracked, and went canyon-crawling. Laurel Creek is just one of many creeks that roar off the rocky slopes of the New River Gorge, and like all the others, it can be difficult to make it down to the creek bed. Add in the fact that we had freezing rain overnight and into the morning, and everything was covered with a sheen of rime ice. Had it not been for trees growing here and there on the rocky slopes, I would have never tried to make my way into the canyon. I had to make the descent and ascent back up twice to get both of the larger waterfalls.

The other creek is Glade Creek, about an hour's drive from Laurel Creek. It was even colder there, and the freezing rain was pelting my camera lens (and me). I was very, very careful picking my way among the icy boulders. A hiking pole with a steel spike on the end helped. The last waterfall is called Cathedral Falls, and is drive-up accessible. Overall, it was an awesome trip.

DSCF4578-1.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSCF4583-1.jpg

DSCF4592-1.jpg

DSCF4602-1.jpg

DSCF4607-1.jpg

DSCF4605-1.jpg

DSCF4609-1.jpg

Yeah, that looks cold. I think the X10,20,30 were some of the best small sensor cameras we've seen. Just a great look to the images. Not sure I could quantify it, but I look with my eyes and not my calculator.

Last edited:
Yeah, that looks cold. I think the X10,20,30 were some of the best small sensor cameras we've seen. Just a greta look to the images. Not sure I could quantify it, but I look with my eyes and not my calculator.
Thanks Steve. It was cold, but I enjoy exploring the woods in the winter. The X30 does indeed produce. The images aren't technically perfect, but they are pleasing to my eyes.

Yeah, that looks cold. I think the X10,20,30 were some of the best small sensor cameras we've seen. Just a greta look to the images. Not sure I could quantify it, but I look with my eyes and not my calculator.

yup, agreed. while my eyes didnt get on with the x20 (your x30 results seem more appealing to me) i still enjoy the results from the original x10. its a great street shooter/snap taker.

Lovely series, Tony. I was editing some of my X-Trans shots minutes before I've seen yours and yeah, can't confuse those colors with anything else out there ;)

Back