Fuji X30 fine in hand

Lachlan

Regular
While out and about in a slightly bigger city the other day, I used the opportunity to visit a few stores with photo/camera departments. The goal was to check out cameras I otherwise can only read about online or in print.

One of those cameras was the X30. Played around with the silver model. While its appearance may not be as agreeable as its predecessors, I found the ergonomics of the body to be right on. In my hands, the grip was wonderful, and I would not add a grip as I have for my X10. The X30 also feels very solid.
The layout is obviously a bit different. I accidentally hit the new button on the front a couple of times. Didn't like that. But I do like the additional lens wheel control.

The viewfinder was much better than expected – a real positive. And the tilt screen also looked good – I would pay to have one on my X10. Mind you, I express this with the caveat that the EVF and screen were only viewed indoors.

The AF seemed only slightly faster than the X10, yet the camera is notably more responsive.

I cannot comment on image quality, but was and am very impressed by the X30 and what it offers in terms of build quality and handling.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really liked the X10 and still like my X20, but the whole series for me is about the optical viewfinder, which made it special for me. So I won't be upgrading to an X30. Glad that many are happy with it, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did have opportunity to try out the X30 again, but have been reluctant to buy.

Fact is, despite its performance shortcomings, the X10, after what, three years of ownership, continues to offer surprises.

For example, I’ve recently begun using the camera at full resolution, making the necessary adjustments as the moment requires. I also started using the Astia setting with the colour at -2 (as well as other adjustments for NR,sharpening, shadow and highlights).

Provided I shoot up to ISO 400, the images have been stellar. I was absolutely thrilled with the colour and overall IQ I got during a recent sunny, fall outing at the lake with my family. During another hike on a cloudy afternoon, I was using a bit of fill flash and was again reminded of how awesome this camera can be.

For years I stuck to the 6MP modes, which are great, but it’s nice to get a touch more resolution.

Regarding the viewfinder, the optical only, without information of any kind, doesn’t really work for me. Furthermore, my X10 let in some debris, including a big fibre of some sort, that I find annoying. I much prefer the EVF on the X30.

So, while I was very impressed with the X30, and so happy Fuji continues to use that mechanical zoom (perhaps my MOST favourite thing about this series), I’m again holding off on an upgrade, keeping my fingers crossed that Fuji continues the series with model that involves a significant sensor upgrade. A camera that goes beyond recycling/perfecting existing models (though again, I’d be very happy to see the mechanical zoom continued).

Back