Fuji X30 Raw output in EVF

Ian Knight

Regular
Hi all,

I use a Fujifilm X30. I have read in a few reviews that it is possible to have just the RAW output in the EVF. Does anyone know how I can do this please, as I cant seem to find it amongst the menu settings.

It would be very useful to have for when I shoot in Raw so I can expose the shot correctly in the hope of pushing the exposure as far right as I can without clipping the highlights.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers Ian.

Hi Ian, I think there is a bit of confusion here and I suspect it's a mixture of terminology and functionality. You cannot "see" the raw file in the evf per se. It is a "digital negative". All you can ever see is a JPG rendition - in that Fuji is no different from any other manufacturer. Even if you shoot raw only the camera will still offer a JPG thumbnail for review.

What you CAN do using the EVF is see a representation of what you are going to get in real time, but I fear it is not exactly what you are asking - and hoping - for.

Hi Bill,

thanks for your reply. I am pretty certain that the X30 does have the functionality of not showing the jpeg rendition, by that I mean an image without the added film effects. Apparently according to what I have read this also affects the histogram, enabling a true reading of the exposure that is registered when recording the image. This was one of the reasons that I upgraded from the X20 to the X30. Perhaps I am very mistaken.
Thank you , Cheets Ian.

Hi Ian,

Well, I shall preface this by saying I don't actually have an X30; I have an X20 and an X100T in the Fuji compact line and I am basing my comments on past experience and on the menu choices of the latter. Under "screen setup" there. Is a choice called "preview pic effect" - that may be what you are seeking, but again I stress you cannot "see" raw.

Hi Bill,

Thanks again for your reply. I think that the "preview pic effect " setting may be something to do with it. I agree that Raw cannot been seen, it is usually a jpeg render of the image. Perhaps taking the picture effects off gives a more neutral image with less of a tone curve on, hence this would be also reflected in the live histogram to perhaps?.
Thanks again, cheers Ian.

You can activate the Natural Live View with Preview Picture Effect Off. In the X30, this has little to do with RAW data simulation, actually to the contrary due to 2 EV of extra highlight DR in the display that is not in the RAW. Same with the X100T. So beware. To simulate RAW data in the EVF (and the histogram), better use corresponding JPEG settings like Pro Neg Std and minimal highlight and shadow contrast (both to -2).

Back