Fuji X30 what changes would you make to the X20?

I'd take the logo off the front and put it back on top. Also would make a menu item to add copyright info and such to the EXIF info. The specification puts those fields there, but you need an afterwards editor to add that information.

I'd take the logo off the front and put it back on top. Also would make a menu item to add copyright info and such to the EXIF info. The specification puts those fields there, but you need an afterwards editor to add that information.

Agree +

3. Possibility to change name of files, not just numbers (perhaps software upgrade).

4. More important: Revisiting the mode buttons. There is SR+, there is auto, program, and SP. I don't understand the need for auto selector. I'd rather have an additional custom setting. Perhaps software upgrade for X20 in anticipation of button change in x30?

5. Ovf coverage improvement.

6. Histogram in OVF.

There are already some great improvements compared to X10. This would make it even better...for me.

I don't understand the need for auto selector.

I like this mode. It's P mode for folks who don't know the camera well but still want standard features. It even shoots RAW. Perfect if you give the camera to someone else who knows how to take pictures but doesn't really know the camera and its inner workings.

How is this supposed to work w/o a hybrid viewfinder? :confused:

I guess I am not the one who should answer this question. You are in touch with fuji developers. They are far better able to say if it's feasible or not in a year or 2. Fuji has managed to get an LCD panel into the 1mm space in the viewfinder. I think that is a major achievement. OLED technology is on the rise and rapidly decreasing in price. When these small screens get better and faster it should be possible to project more data on a screen. If someone prefers to call this hybrid, that's fine with me.

You mean Fujifilm should leave the DCF standard? I don't think so...

Did I say that? I don't think so. To my knowledge the DCF standard does not prevent you from using other names than DSCF (the naming convention is rather broad, to my knowledge). Having the standard DSCF as default in front of the number is fine but it would be nice to be able to change that. That's my only point. If you don't want users to add their own text, the possibility to put other variables (such as camera type) in front of DSCF would already help. It's not a big deal if you upload photos to your computer first, but might be helpful if photos are directly uploaded to a server. It would have helped me separate X10 files from X20 files and older DSCF files.

But if you think otherwise, I respect that. This thread is just a discussion about what we dream of in terms of features of the next model.

I like this mode. It's P mode for folks who don't know the camera well but still want standard features. It even shoots RAW. Perfect if you give the camera to someone else who knows how to take pictures but doesn't really know the camera and its inner workings.

Well, the people who I give the camera to, either do not like to shoot in fully automatic mode (typically raw-shooters) or do not know what RAW means. The first group is usually capable of working with the Q-menu (and revert settings if they change something). The second group will be perfectly served by the SR+ mode (which seems to work really well).

But I'm sure there is a reason why Fuji opted for these modes. Personally, however I would prefer with more custom modes. It's definitely not a reason to abandon the brand.

I guess I am not the one who should answer this question. You are in touch with fuji developers.

Well, it is possible to build an "X30" with hybrid multi-VF. It would be almost as big as the X-Pro1, cost around 1000 USD (or more), feature no built-in diopter correction (as that would make the outfit even larger) and would be very difficult to zoom, very much like using a zoom lens on an X-Pro1. If you want that, you should indeed write to Fuji and let them know. They are collecting feedback like this.

Alternatively, you could lobby for an external hybrid viewfinder attachment (would be pricey, probably around 600+ USD, so more expensive than the actual camera) using the flash shoe as an electronic accessory connector. So maybe a "simple" optional EVF would be more reasonable (and cheaper) and also do the job. I reckon that would be the way to go? I think this may be the most likely option, especially since such an external EVF module could work for more than one camera model.

Then again, Fuji tells me that sales of such items are very limited (they have analyzed what Sony and others sold), so this may be a tough decision. But hey, that's why we write if we want something. :)

Well, the people who I give the camera to, either do not like to shoot in fully automatic mode (typically raw-shooters) or do not know what RAW means.

Well, I know what it means and I am happy to get RAWs of those shots to process them later. Like when I give my camera to someone else to take some shots (of me or somthing else). I won't let those guys shoot SR+ for me, as I'd only get some JPEGs. The X-S1 has 3 custom settings, btw.

the naming convention is rather broad, to my knowledge

That's news to me, could you please point us to a source backing this up? The Wikipedia article I linked to does not. It clearly states:
The filesystem in a digital camera contains a DCIM (Digital Camera IMages) directory which contains possibly multiple subdirectories with names such as "123ABCDE", which consist of a unique directory number (in the range 100…999) and five alphanumeric characters, which may be freely chosen and often refer to a camera maker.

And how would the mandatory numbered folder structure be maintained? I simply can't imagine implementing free files w/o leaving the DCF standard. That's why I asked if Fuji should leave that standard, with all consequences.

Leaving the standard would allow Fuji to do plenty of nice things, not just any filename, but also folders collecting different versions of JPEGs that were cerated with the built-in RAW converter. However, PC software would have problems importing such files, they would all have to add specific support for the new "Fujifilm Image File System" (FIFS). :)

Back