Fuji X70? = X100S-viewfinder - would anyone be interested?

I think there would be a market for it depending on how much cheaper it is. For me losing the viewfinder would be a dealbreaker. I also don't like it losing one stop going from 2.0 to 2.8 and getting smaller is either a plus or a minus based on personal preference.

If it still had the same high ISO performance of the X100S I don't think I'd mind the drop to f2.8 provided that the lens was sharp wide open. I agree though that the loss of the viewfinder would put me off it, but then neither the Nikon A, Ricoh GR nor the RX-1 have viewfinders (stock) and if that's the market it would be going after perhaps it makes sense.

There is certainly a market, Luke. I've been waiting for something like this and while the GR comes close, I'd prefer a 23mm or 27mm for an everyday lens over the GR's 18.3mm. Neither the lack of a viewfinder nor the f/2.8 lens bothers me. I don't mind taking photos with the DP2 Merrill in low light settings, but I'd like some color photos in my collection! I think X-Trans is the answer. Given that the rumors are accurate, this is a likely buy for me.*

*I'd also like to see what Olympus has brewing on a large-sensor fixed-prime front. If they release a similar product with a 17mm f/2.8, then it will be a tough decision.

I don't see why there should be a drop from 2.8 to 2 if Fuji will be taking the hybrid VF out. Taking the VF should make the camera relatively smaller already. Like Prototype, I'd love to see a 35mm EFL fixed lens small camera (that is cheaper than a RX1).

The lack of a viewfinder gives me pause. I already have an XF1 (I realize it's a much smaller sensor) and I can already put a 17mm or 20mm prime on my Oly E-PM2 and get pretty much the same results - and still have the option to add an EVF if I want. But I suspect there are enough people would would be interested in such a camera: Look at the market reaction to both the Nikon A and Ricoh GR.

People love small cameras with great IQ, see RX1 and RX100, and Sony will soon announce an RX10 to compete with Nikon's A and the Pentax/Ricoh GR. So a very small and more affordable X100 derivate could be attractive. Done right, it could be the world's smallest APS-C camera, but with extremely good IQ.

Back