1. Welcome to Cameraderie.org—a friendly camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Showcase XC 50-230 Samples

Discussion in 'Fuji Showcase' started by KillRamsey, Apr 17, 2015.

1. KillRamsey

KillRamsey Super Moderator Moderators Team

Jun 20, 2012
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    Ok, my XC 50-230 has arrived from Japan. For the record, I got it on Ebay from a reputable seller in Japan for about $180 shipped. It's the ugly silver one, but I care not one iota, as long as it works (check) and it's cheap (check). I took it out this morning on the way to work, and was greeted by light drizzle and grey clouds everywhere. These have been tweaked slightly, but not heavily. All were hand-held.

ISO 800, 1/120 second, f6.7, 230mm
    16992117469_4811afe20a_b.jpg KBRX9818P by gordopuggy, on Flickr

ISO 640, 1/180 second, f6.7, 230mm, slight rotation and crop
    16990774200_b0c4a8150d_b.jpg KBRX9871P by gordopuggy, on Flickr

Exactly the same settings as above.
    16992116939_c98f929241_b.jpg KBRX9875P by gordopuggy, on Flickr

Initial thoughts: For $180, this is stupidly useful. It talks to the camera and runs on auto when I want it to, focus is more than fast enough, there's more or less no CA or fringing, contrast and colors are better than the old film glass by far, it really benefits from being stopped down a click or two, the OIS works pretty damned well (good for 1/30 so far at 50mm, and 1/125 at 230mm). It's shorter than I pictured, until you zoom it out, at which point it becomes comically long. It's LIGHT, thanks to all that fragile plastic. When you click it on, it barely makes a click and doesn't have that "ohhhh hell yeah" solid XF lens feeling. But it has incredible reach, and it does its job WAY better than it ought to.

• Like Like x 3
  2. KillRamsey

Jun 20, 2012
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Moderators Team

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Interesting... You can get a good used example for under £150 here now, with a 6 month warranty from a reputable dealer. It's almost rude not to, particularly for travel use when the excellent 55-200 gets a little heavy. On the subject of CA, can you post a 100% crop of the tree branches from the penultimate photo above, please?

4. Biro

Biro Super Moderator Moderators Team

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    This is good stuff. I picked up a new XC 16-50 from an Asian seller on eBay a few months ago. The 50-230 make sense at these prices and with these results.

5. KillRamsey

Jun 20, 2012
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    Sure thing, though it's blurry.

17040722429_b82e69e8f6_c.jpg 17178020881_43799bbe36_o by gordopuggy, on Flickr

6. KillRamsey

Jun 20, 2012
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    More fun, this time in Harvard Square at the end of last week. Grey weather, I'm afraid, so I still don't have "high sun" shots. But I'll abuse it when I do, going for flare and CA. Meanwhile, i did finally notice slower focusing speeds when it's starting off at the wrong end of the range. The poor thing, it's a mile long in there and I'm sure it got short shrift on focus motors to keep the cost down. It tracks focus at 8fps as well as any XF lens I've used, as far as I can tell. It pulled in 90% correct shots of incoming cyclists.

All samples SOOC...

17200982536_f7e34c4a7f_b.jpg KBRX9886 by gordopuggy, on Flickr

17226926695_80e7079ea2_b.jpg KBRX9891 by gordopuggy, on Flickr

17226364931_52dca00165_b.jpg KBRX9901 by gordopuggy, on Flickr

16604480764_631bf3711b_b.jpg KBRX9913 by gordopuggy, on Flickr

For $180, you'd need a REALLY compelling reason to go for the more expensive versions if you're going to use this thing once in awhile like I am. Cripes, man, look at this thing.

• Like Like x 9
  7. Biro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Well, I just ordered one myself from the same eBay seller in Japan that I bought the XC 16-50 from. $169. And, yes, it's the ugly silver one that no one wants. But who cares? I should have it sometime in the first two weeks of May. Your results made the difference, Kyle, so thanks. BTW, did you need to update the lens firmware when you got it or are you running with whatever it had already?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  8. KillRamsey

Jun 20, 2012
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    Running whatever it had. Popped it onto my up-to-date XT1 and began shooting right away, no issues.

I've been going over the rest of these sample shots from Friday, and am doubly impressed. I have a landscape oriented shot at 230mm of a cop talking to a guy, where the cop (knees to top of head) fills the frame vertically, and when you crop to 100%, you can read the "Dr Pepper" fine print on the bottle in his hand, as well as the NOTICE text on the ticket in the hands of the guy who's talking to him (presumably about the parking ticket he just got). I should just upload it...

• Like Like x 2
  9. KillRamsey

Jun 20, 2012
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    Full shot (230mm, wide open at 6.7), untouched SOOC

16612253254_91b5d677c7_c.jpg KBRX9890 by gordopuggy, on Flickr

And a 100% crop to show the text...

17048517079_3558293ba2_c.jpg KBRX9890-100Crop by gordopuggy, on Flickr

Interesting that the crop looks more grainy after uploading to Flickr.

• Like Like x 11
  10. Biro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Man, that is sharp.

• Like Like x 2
  11. KillRamsey

Jun 20, 2012
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    I can't reconcile the performance with the price.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Biro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Well, the lens is still not the fastest - whether we're talking about aperture or focus speed. But, in truth, neither should matter for our planned use of this lens. So it's an excellent trade-off if one is shooting outdoors and not doing fast-moving sports. And even then, I'll bet one can still get reasonable results shooting sports by using the old film-school methods.

And remember, one can't find a new example of the black version of this lens for under $350 - not even in Japan. So that's probably the appropriate market price for this glass. It's just that most people don't want the silver version. Their loss is our gain.

13. KillRamsey

Jun 20, 2012
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    Focus tracking on it is really not bad - I didn't notice any problems tracking cyclists coming towards me. Or, what problems I did notice were the same as all the other XF lenses I have. You're limited in max aperture, for sure, so shutter speed / ISO will have to make up for it, but in bright light it's not an issue. I feel like this will cover 90% of the uses someone like me will ever have for such a long lens. Time will tell - and to be clear, I've just gotten the thing and barely used it, but ... on paper it seems like there's very little to get annoyed by during the day. Once the golden hour hits, it's going back in the bag.

14. KillRamsey

Jun 20, 2012
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    Bill Palmer, I took this unbelievably boring photograph today just for you. And I didn't molest it in post one bit. I dictated f8, aimed it up at the far branches, and fired one off. Sun is STILL not bright, it's been grey as England here, but ... sigh.

16663052243_ef4a010899_c.jpg KBRX0780 by gordopuggy, on Flickr

I took this one to see how easily I could focus on her and not the intervening ropes, and it was no issue. I'm sure that's the camera and not the lens, but it also gave me a chance to flick back and forth from near focus to far (ropes, her, ropes, her, back and forth) and I'm starting to walk back my "I guess it focuses a little slow" talk. It did fine, honestly it was perfectly fine. Borderline "perky." Absolutely not an issue for anything like normal shooting.

17097106709_cfc4e4777b_c.jpg KBRX0758 by gordopuggy, on Flickr

And a test of sharpness wide open at 230mm. This one was shot at f6.7, 1/500, from about ten feet away. I implore you to have a look at the full sized file in Flickr...

17075791837_b59fbf9c97_c.jpg KBRX0749 by gordopuggy, on Flickr

You can see my reflection pretty clearly in his eyeball, along with all the disgusting goopy details of his facial fur (poor old lump). I suppose it doesn't tell us much about the corners, but if this is "not very sharp at 230mm" then cry me a river. I didn't expect anything like this for $180.

• Like Like x 10
  15. Lightmancer

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Not only am I property grateful, on the strength of this I have scored a black one off eBay for 123 notes :D 

• Like Like x 4
  16. Biro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Mine arrived from Japan today.

• Like Like x 4
  17. KillRamsey

Jun 20, 2012
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    Very cool, both of you. I'm wondering how it does on something besides the XT1, if there's any appreciable difference.

18. Lightmancer

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    I shall stick it on my X-pro and let you know ;) 

19. Biro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Maybe I can try it on my X-A1 this weekend.

20. Lightmancer

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Neither can I...

It's taken me a while to process these but I'm really impressed. So much that I am now torn as to what to take to Le Mans next weekend, this or the 55-200 - and I never thought I would say that!

This, incidentally, is "scurry racing" - no, I didn't know either...
    38493688.6674d2f4.1024.jpg
    Portsmouth County Fair May 2015 X-T1 Scurry Race 4
    par Lightmancer, on ipernity
    ...and a bit of Punch & Judy:
    38493674.71cc9bfc.1024.jpg
    Portsmouth County Fair May 2015 X-T1 Punch and Judy 1
    par Lightmancer, on ipernity​

...what a surprisingly cracking lens this is!

• Like Like x 9