Fuji Showcase XC 50-230 Samples

Googled it. Looks like Gen 2 touts half a stop more of stabilization (3.5 vs 3) and "smoother operation." Doesn't sound like something I'd really HAVE to upgrade to, and actually I have no idea which I have.

Googled it. Looks like Gen 2 touts half a stop more of stabilization (3.5 vs 3) and "smoother operation." Doesn't sound like something I'd really HAVE to upgrade to, and actually I have no idea which I have.

Closer focusing distance and faster autofocusing as well. I have the Gen 1 version of both the XC 16-50 and 50-230. They work well enough.

They had a kids triathalon in town yesterday, with hundreds of kids there. Started with a "swimming" portion, which was really just running through water for most kids. Then biking a course, and then running. The girl loved it. I loved the XC 50-230. Setting that did work, everytime: AF-S, Single Point, mash-and-go. It hit focus at least 95% of the time that way. AF-C and a combination of Single Point and Wide Tracking really didn't do much to enable me to shoot 8fps as they got closer. First shot was always in focus, and subsequent shots as they got closer were not. AF-C seems to stop trying once I expose the first shot in series. No matter, I got singles all I wanted.

29171834784_c957636234_b.jpg
KBRX0247
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

A few kids DID actually swim it!
29171835384_293cf69d95_c.jpg
KBRX0214
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

Method above (AF-S and full-press) pulled these shots in, in focus, without any fuss over and over.
29171834274_077524877f_b.jpg
KBRX0321
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

29171833414_8fa838d8ab_b.jpg
KBRX0332
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

Since there was not a thread for the 50-230 in the lens sample showcase, and this thread was already going, I moved it instead of starting a new one.

I did some shooting with the 50-230 on vacation. It really is one of the best values out there.

NM3718-L.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

My brand spanking new OIS II version arrived today. First impression when I attached it to the X-T1 was how well balanced the combination felt. First pic shows it beside the Vivitar 75-150 I've been using. It's quite a bit lighter, and retracted, about an inch shorter. I lose the constant f/3.8 aperture and ability to focus as close as about 4 inches, but I gain AF, IS, about 50% more reach, and Fuji's magic with lenses. I took a couple of pedestrian flower pics to test the combination, and all seemed fine. Looking forward to getting it out on the trail.

100_2610.JPG

DSCF8914.JPG

DSCF8918.JPG

Back