Fuji XE-2 Predictive Focus Tracking

Markez79

Rookie
Hi guys,

This is my first post so apologies for any rookie errors!

I have the XE-2 and love it. However, one factor I don't like is the lack of predictive focusing especially when trying to take family photos of my 2 1/2 year old son! He is fast!

On various rumour sites I have started to hear that the XE-2 will have predictive AF both on single shot mode and continous AF........can anyone confirm whether this is true or not? Will this be via a new firmware upgarde or is there a setting I haven't found yet......?

If predictive AF will be implimented oin the XE-2 will this be limited to 3fps in AF-C mode?

I have the XT-1 on preorder but I will let it go if my XE-2 will get predictive AF.

Thanks!

Mark

I have already posted several samples, so there's no need for verbal comment, as this typically amounts to contradicting opinions ("it's fast enough", "no, it's not fast enough", etc.). ;) I always try to avoid telling others what is or isn't good enough for them.

Folks should judge for themselves.

X-T1: Fujifilm X-T1 Predictive PDAF Sample Series
X-E2: X-E2 Tracking AF

Thanks Ricco - appreciated.

What I am really interested in is whether a firmware update is needed to get the predictive tracking AF? As things currently stand, the tracking ability of my XE-2 (Vrs 1.1) is terrible.

Mark

if predictive af is currently available, wouldn't it already be in the current version firmware? are you aiming with the pdaf points?

(Sent from another Galaxy via Tapatalk.)

Not neccesarily. I have read elsewhere that the Predictive AF Tracking is only available on Firmware Update 1.2 and that this has only been shared with a few reviewers and therefore not for general release yet.

Rico - are you able to comment on this? Is Predictive AF incorporated under Firmware version 1.1 or only in version 1.2?

If this is correct, any other updates being maxde via firmware 1.2.....? Different colours for focus peaking? Same WiFi connectivity as XT-1??

Thanks!

Mark

I'm confused. Is there a difference between "predictive AF" in the XT1 vs. the "C-AF" in the XE2???

Aren't all cameras with phase detect sensors using some type of predictive algorithms while in C-AF?

Hi guys,

This is my first post so apologies for any rookie errors!

I have the XE-2 and love it. However, one factor I don't like is the lack of predictive focusing especially when trying to take family photos of my 2 1/2 year old son! He is fast!

On various rumour sites I have started to hear that the XE-2 will have predictive AF both on single shot mode and continous AF........can anyone confirm whether this is true or not? Will this be via a new firmware upgarde or is there a setting I haven't found yet......?

If predictive AF will be implimented oin the XE-2 will this be limited to 3fps in AF-C mode?

I have the XT-1 on preorder but I will let it go if my XE-2 will get predictive AF.

Thanks!

Mark

I believe I read somewhere that the better EVF on the XT1 is also much better for tracking a subject on the move while using high speed shooting.

I'm confused. Is there a difference between "predictive AF" in the XT1 vs. the "C-AF" in the XE2???

Aren't all cameras with phase detect sensors using some type of predictive algorithms while in C-AF?

Good questions.

Answer is no.

X100S and X20 offer no PDAF tracking at all.

XQ1 offers tracking, but is it predictive?

X-E2 and X-T1 offer predictive PDAF tracking.

I believe I read somewhere that the better EVF on the XT1 is also much better for tracking a subject on the move while using high speed shooting.

Maybe in the way that a higher sensor readout frequency (aka higher EVF frame rate) would also result in more data points and hence more precise and faster tracking. Hence the 8 fps vs. 3 fps difference. I assume (pure speculation!) that this may also be a reason why the new Sony a6000 only offers a rather low-res EVF (downgrade from previous models): less resolution = higher frame rate = 11 fps PDAF tracking.

Back