Fuji XE-2 SETTINGS WITH REMOTE FLASH

reispr

Recently, I bought a non-Fuji speedlight and remote trigger/receiver to have some fun learning about using them for things like indoor portraits with my XE-2. Do you have any suggestions for standard camera settings you use for this purpose?

AJR

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, in general, you want to...

1. Set your shutter speed to the max sync speed, which I believe for you is 1/180 (that's what it is for the X-T1).
2. Set your ISO to 200
3. Set your aperture to something in the middle, say 5.6.

Set focus manually so it stays consistent. Take a test shot without the flash, to see how much ambient light you're letting in. Too much? Hit up your aperture. Not enough? Open the ap up. Then set your flash to some kind of middle power setting, place it, and fire off a new test shot. Adjust the flash setting up or down, move it, whatever. But understand that as you adjust shutter speed, you're only affecting how much of the ambient light makes it into the picture, not flash. And as you adjust the ISO and aperture, you're affecting how much ambient AND flash will be captured.

Thank you so much, KR. If I may - one further question. If I use these settings indoors, without a lot of available light, won't that make it difficult (or even impossible, in some cases) for me to see what I'm aiming at? Do I need to set something else on the camera so that I see what I'm aiming at - not the "preview" of the shot that I will get? If so, I haven't figured out how to do that yet (I'm very new at this). Thanks again very much for your thoughtful response, which I can't wait to try out.

If it's REALLY dark, yeah, you'll have a hard time focusing well. So a flashlight or a lamp you can turn off for the shots helps. But then, depending on the focal length / distance to the subject, you may have a very forgiving depth of field... that is, if you wind up shooting a 35 lens at f8 and your subject is ten feet away, you'll have something like a good 3 or 4 foot chunk of space out there that's in focus, which makes it easier.

Back