Fuji XE-3 with XC 15-45

merlin

All-Pro
Name
Merlin Emrys
Wondering if anyone has used this combo. It seems like an excellent choice for those who are wanting something small and lightweight, with better resolution (albeit much shorter reach) than my discontinued X30.

You might be unsurprised to learn that I too am not a fan of power zooms, but this one is well implemented and I forgive it for the compact size and weight and more than acceptable performance. It's great for travel.

I did not realize the 15-45 was a power zoom. How is it controlled?

I considered the 16-50, but it was basically trashed at PhotoZone. I love my 18-55, which has excellent IQ, but am wanting something smaller and lighter weight.

The problem with the smaller, lighter zooms is the lack of aperture ring. For me that is a deal breaker - I guess you'd have to assess how that works out for you. The 16-50's can usually be picked up pretty cheap and probably aren't as bad as some would make out.

IIRC, the Nikon G-series lenses did not have aperture rings either, and the ones I had were great glass.

After reading several reviews from people/places I respect, I would not touch the XC 16-50, whereas the 15-45 seems to be lots better.

I did not realize the 15-45 was a power zoom. How is it controlled?

I considered the 16-50, but it was basically trashed at PhotoZone. I love my 18-55, which has excellent IQ, but am wanting something smaller and lighter weight.

Zooming is controlled by .......... the zoom ring! Typical PZ feeling, meaning mushy and poorly controlled focal lengths. No way of knowing what F/L is selected, only a reference bar in VF. If the latest body firmware is installed, the front focus ring can be selected for "micro" zooming which works well, but then you cannot manually focus. :wtf:

As far as the 18-55 goes ....... after 3 copies (I really tried to like this lens), I've kept my lowly XC 16-50 as it's IQ performance was noticeably better especially at the longer focal lengths. So much for paying more and getting more. Wouldn't take a free one!

Back