Fuji XE1 initial comments (feel free to post your own)

If its purely lust then go with the X100s or X-Pro 1 - they're prettier cameras ;-)

I tried the X100 and it didn't work for me, and the X Pro is too big. The XE strikes the perfect balance for me. Not that it brings anything truly significant over my NEX 7 though....

I tried the X100 and it didn't work for me, and the X Pro is too big. The XE strikes the perfect balance for me. Not that it brings anything truly significant over my NEX 7 though....

If I could live with the single focal length I would prefer the X100/X100s. If the X-E1 doesn't end up working for me and I decide I need to keep my DSLR after all, that's probably the route I'll take. I definitely prefer an OVF to an EVF that doesn't show live exposure info, but the problems with the X-Pro 1's OVF/interchangable lenses made it a no go for me, however I did actually like the size of the camera. I briefly tried the NEX-7 but it was a while ago and I can't remember to accurately compare - is the NEX-7's EVF as laggy as the X-E1?

As a follow up to my first impressions earlier in the thread, I am very impressed with the IQ, handling and yes even the AF of the camera with the 35mm lens. Its a great camera to shoot with and it did just about everything I asked it to, however, there are two deciding factors that mean I am not going to be keeping it. First is the EVF - While I'm not crazy about the lag, its really just the way that looking through it affects my eyes that makes it problematic for me. I don't seem to have that issue with the Olympus VF-2. The VF-2 feels relatively natural to me whereas the X-E1's seems to give me a bit of a headache if I use it for too long. Perhaps its the OLED or the refresh rate. Also, the lack of accurate exposure preview in all modes and the seemingly unalterable way the EVF decides to gain up or down gives me pause. I'd consider exchanging it for an X-Pro 1 with the OVF, but that brings me to the other deciding factor - After shooting the X-E1 side by side with my 5DII, I don't think I can give up the DSLR for certain types of shooting, and as such I don't want to be invested in three ILC systems (I'm keeping my m43 camera as a travel setup with kit zooms, and for use with legacy glass). Also, while certainly smaller and lighter than my 5DII, the X-E1 with the 35mm + hood is still too large to feel like an accessory camera that I'd carry daily, which is the only way I can justify owning three different camera systems. Initially I came onto this forum with the idea that I would be getting into the Fujifilm X-Series with an X100, and I think that I'm back to that point, though I'm looking at the X100s. I'm definitely interested to see what they do with the X-Pro 2, because with a few improvements, I do think I'd be willing to give up my 5DII...just not yet.

I'm getting the 35mm today Eric, and it will be the deciding factor between keeping it or going back to a NEX 7. there is much to like about the XE1 but I cannot afford/justify both as I already have a Sony A57. I actually found the AF of the X100 quicker in good light than the XE1 btw. I bet the x100s is fab :)

I'm getting the 35mm today Eric, and it will be the deciding factor between keeping it or going back to a NEX 7. there is much to like about the XE1 but I cannot afford/justify both as I already have a Sony A57. I actually found the AF of the X100 quicker in good light than the XE1 btw. I bet the x100s is fab :)

The IQ of the 35mm on the X-E1 really does rival what I see coming out of my 5DII. I don't know that the NEX system has a lens that could rival it from the IQ perspective apart from the very expensive Zeiss (though the focal length is obviously different).

That is a good point. Sony NEX don't have an equivalent lens in the lineup, but the one thing that NEX does have is focus peaking, and I have a couple of very good legacy lenses at f.14.....choices, choices!

Those legacy lenses would still work nicely on the X-E1 I would imagine. I really like the control dial magnification/zoom for MF. I found it much quicker/easier than the dedicated magnify buttons on my E-PL1 for some reason. I realise its not peaking though and may not be quite as fast.

Back