Fuji XE1 -- which lenses?

wt21

Hall of Famer
OK, I'm cracking. But which lenses?

The 60 macro is out. I prefer my MF lenses for macro, and 2.8 is too slow for me for portraits.

The 14 is too wide for me.

I'm not much of a kit shooter, but the 18-55 has a pretty nice aperture range, and I understand the 18mm prime isn't a great lens anyway, and it's only 1 stop slower. Would the 18-55 alone be sufficient, or should I get the 18-55 + 35/1.4? I also have a CV40/1.4 that I could use for prime territory, and just drop using the 35/14?

What's the hubbub on the 18, 35, and 18-55? Any particularly bad in corners, slow focusing, etc?

Hey Bill
I got XE1 with the 18-55 and added the 14.
It's wide but very sharp and not covered by the kit.
I'm going to add the 35 and I think a three lens kit will do it for me.
Very happy with this system.

The linear motor in the zoom is faster than the primes, with the primes being "acceptable" to "slow" and the zoom being "pretty quick but not µ4/3 quick". I've heard the 18 is soft in the corners, but I've never tried it. The 35 is really great, although since you already have the CV40/1.4 I'm not sure you'd need both unless autofocus were really a deal-breaker. The 18-55 is not perfect but is excellent, and the 40/1.4 would be a sweet little prime to use, especially with the in-camera lens correction options available for M-mount lenses.

Here is an excellent run-down of how the 18-55 compares to the primes. (apologies for linking to another FujiX forum)

I have the Fuji 35 and CV 40, they are completely different animals. If you lean towards the traditional, go for the 35 over the zoom. The 18 is good, but no where near the level the 35 puts out.

Back