Fuji XE2 Questions

deckitout

Regular
I found thee XE2 quite easy to learn my way around, I have however a few questions.

After taking a picture I like to be able to view the exposure blinks (if any), on the XE2 it does not appear to give you this option unless you press play.

On my Panasonics and Oly's this shows immediately in the VF on review thus enabling a quick exposure change. With the XE2 you have to press
play to view unless I have missed something.

Can anyone clarify

Thankd Phil

Thanks

I have this set up already. What this doesn't do is give you the blinkies and histogram view, it just shows a review of the exposure, to get the histogram and over exposure warnings it looks like you have to press play

Thanks

I have this set up already. What this doesn't do is give you the blinkies and histogram view, it just shows a review of the exposure, to get the histogram and over exposure warnings it looks like you have to press play

Afraid so. It is one Olympus feature I do miss is the blinkies in the EVF and live view when shooting but I can work the live histogram okay.

I have gotten better now at paying close attention to the histogram before half pressing or locking exposure and I am getting good results so that immediate blinky feedback on play has been less critical.

It is great with the large dedicated ev comp wheel on Fuji's -- very quick to trim when you see an issue in the evf/lcd.

Thanks John
Firstly I was hoping that you could display the live histogram in the EVF which does not seem possible
Secondly, once a shot has been taken, I would like the preview on the LCD to show the Histogram
and blinkies view which it does not appear to do, in order to see that view you have to press play.

So in order to see a finished histogram and blinkies you have to take the shot, remove the camera from your eye
and press the play button, I wanted to be able to do this all from the EVF like the GH3.

The EVF does get you pretty close admittedly but I think this option should be
available for fine-tuning exposure

Thanks John
Firstly I was hoping that you could display the live histogram in the EVF which does not seem possible
Secondly, once a shot has been taken, I would like the preview on the LCD to show the Histogram
and blinkies view which it does not appear to do, in order to see that view you have to press play.

So in order to see a finished histogram and blinkies you have to take the shot, remove the camera from your eye
and press the play button, I wanted to be able to do this all from the EVF like the GH3.

The EVF does get you pretty close admittedly but I think this option should be
available for fine-tuning exposure

You can display the live histogram in your custom view -- just use the display/back button to choose the appropriate view WHILE IN THE EVF. You can have completely different views on the LCD and EVF and I use the histogram in the EVF -- you just have to set it up that way.

And you can customize the playback view as well. You just have to do it with the EVF on for playback which means either keeping it to your eye while configuring, or going into the menu and setting the EVF only operation. The lack of the view mode button on the X-E2 makes this more complicated than it needs to be. But yes you can set up the same views for both record and playback in the EVF.

Oh, and also, what is in your view can be changed in the menu system. I'll make another post talking about that in a minute.

Okay, here's where the views are customized: Third "camera menu", then the item called "DISP. CUSTOM SETTING". In there you can choose what is shown on the screen when you are in the "custom view" using the DISP/BACK button.

If the histogram isn't checked, then make a check next to it. Then, while in the EVF on record, push the DISP/BACK button until the custom view with the histogram is selected. That would be the one indicated by the letter "C" in a rectangle.

In a slight disconnect IMO, Fuji places turning on and off the framing guidline in the "camera" menus, but the actual TYPE of frame grid is selected in the first "Wrench" menu under "SCREEN SET UP".

Thanks John
Histogram in EVF now sorted.

What I am now trying to achieve is having blinkies and histogram in review mode not to be confused with playback, I am not sure this is possibe.

So I have set review hold to on, then when I take a shot the screen holds until another button is pressed, this is not giving any exposure information, if you then press play you get your selected screen with histogram etc, I am trying to achieve exposure info in review hold.
Hope I have explained properly

This is not possible, even though it would be nice. I'd also like an option to add blinkies to normal playback views (those with a larger image).

I have no idea, but it may be hard given the fact that the instant review is only a very quick and basic RAW conversion, not the final one. X-Trans requires processing power, so it may be possible, but only with expensive hardware that drains the battery and costs extra $$$.

Back