Fuji XE3 Arrived!

It is as if the X-E3 was designed to be a second body. Which is a shame because it is such good value

That's a an accurate viewpoint.

For me I like to think I've leveraged that design to fit my needs as a primary body.
I like the light feel. I really like the look. For me it in no way feels cheap. It's ergonomics without added grips are actually very good.
The thumb hump on the top right is more than adequate and better than previous designs. The front finger grip isn't bad either.
The slimmed down(missing) buttons don't work for any who need fast on the go changes but for the slow and methodical it works.
I swipe - down for ISO.
The EVF is small compared to the lovely T1/T2 but adequate.
If it's left EVF vs. flip LCD I take the left EVF. Feels/looks better to me and I use that every time vs. sometime. Make one with both and I'll likely buy it.
All in all, it's a high value little powerhouse that I really like to use.

That's a an accurate viewpoint.

For me I like to think I've leveraged that design to fit my needs as a primary body.
Agreed. I don't mind weightlessness either -- it's just how people subconsciously associate heft with build quality. I like my heavier Leica Q, and it doesn't feel heavy in hand, but sure feels heavy in the bag...

And smallness can always, always be mitigated.^ Don't like the grip? There are satisfactory 3rd party grips available, you shouldn't feel wanting for anything after getting one. Ready to stroll the streets stealthily? Detach the grip and go into the day with the 35/2.

I would be happy with X-E3 as my main body, given a clean slate.

^: ok maybe not when the buttons feel cramped and situations like that, but often :)

Agreed. I don't mind weightlessness either -- it's just how people subconsciously associate heft with build quality. I like my heavier Leica Q, and it doesn't feel heavy in hand, but sure feels heavy in the bag...

And smallness can always, always be mitigated.^ Don't like the grip? There are satisfactory 3rd party grips available, you shouldn't feel wanting for anything after getting one. Ready to stroll the streets stealthily? Detach the grip and go into the day with the 35/2.

I would be happy with X-E3 as my main body, given a clean slate.

^: ok maybe not when the buttons feel cramped and situations like that, but often :)

I don't equate weight to quality...I equate weight to the ability to balance the bigger lens options available. The xe1 was fine with primes, but place the 55-200 on it and there were some quirks in handling

Last edited:
For me it's not the weight, it's the feeling that it's not solid. Back when Nikon and Canon first released their affordable DSLRs (the D70 and Rebel 300D were the first sub $1000 DSLRs), I looked at both. I really hadn't invested in lenses or a system, but had been toying with getting a Canon Elan. When they came out it was simple math, the difference between the Elan and the DSLRs equaled about 50 rolls of film and being a geek it was a simple choice.

Picking between the Rebel and the D70 was also simple. The Rebel felt hallow, the D70 felt solid even though there was only about 30g difference.

(Luke) I thought it was great. Focus is maybe a hair faster with 35 f1.4 on the XE3 vs on the XT1, but really it's the shutter lag and EVF blackout times that are lighting my brain on fire. I can't believe how pleasant it is to have the response rate be so fast. I had no complaints before, except shooting sports in 8 fps. But even casual shots like this, it's back up and ready as fast as I can let go of the button and press again. I am the holdup now.

For me it's not the weight, it's the feeling that it's not solid. Back when Nikon and Canon first released their affordable DSLRs (the D70 and Rebel 300D were the first sub $1000 DSLRs), I looked at both. I really hadn't invested in lenses or a system, but had been toying with getting a Canon Elan. When they came out it was simple math, the difference between the Elan and the DSLRs equaled about 50 rolls of film and being a geek it was a simple choice.

Picking between the Rebel and the D70 was also simple. The Rebel felt hallow, the D70 felt solid even though there was only about 30g difference.

Do you have that feeling with the X-E3?
I just transitioned from an X-T2 and don't get that vibe.

Do you have that feeling with the X-E3?
I just transitioned from an X-T2 and don't get that vibe.
I played with one a few months ago and am trying to remember. It was light but I don't recall thinking it was as hallow feeling some of the earlier Fuji bodies. BUt I've have to try it again, something I have been refraining from doing.

All of the current generation bodies should run circles around the X-T1 on that.
I don't quite remember the X-T1 having a long shutter lag. Then again, doesn't matter if it's better now. Then again, I have this newly-developed crazy obsession with shutter lags. Someone said that Leicas are the kings of instantenous shutters and now I'm hesitant to consider Fuji if they're second to Leica in that regard :coco:

Last edited:
Try Astia too. I came across it by accident, but in good sunny light, it's quite fantastic.

Astia is my normal preset, has been for years.

As for shutter lag, when you're used to the XT1 it's absolutely fine. The only time I was ever annoyed by it was shooting guys kite surfing, flying through the air on big jumps where you're trying to pan with them and keep them framed, with the 50-230 out near the end of its range. Little blackouts suddenly add up to losing the ability to frame.

Fast forward to the XE3 and 35 f1.4, in my kitchen the other night. The blackout at shutter release was so quick I could barely register it. It is now a true "blink," and not a "quick pause." In single shot mode, with AFL locked, the camera was faster than my shutter finger could go. Pop-pop-pop-pop-pop-pop as quick as I could, no lag, no blackout remotely long enough to be noticed. So, so much easier to follow a moving subject.

And yet, I would've said the XT1 was great at it too.

And, I don't have it (either camera) in High Performance mode.

Hope you don't mind if I take this topic a little sideways

I've got an X-E3 with the 35mm f2 as a backup to my Ricoh GR. The first batch of 30 odd images are mostly disappointingly missed focus. A few hit the mark. I am unsure if its operator error as the 50mm equiv would demand more care than the 28mm equiv on the GR. Initially I am tempted to jump ship to a Sony A7 and a Loxia and go fully manual focus. This would take me back to my OM4 and Zuiko lens days. That combo would do nicely for some tripod work.

I suppose I should do some careful tests to ensure its not the hardware and is all about my poor technique. I also bought the combo as I was missing the look of 50mm equiv images. I will examine firmware also. Sometimes it is the gears fault.

I am curious to the OP as to if any images made initially were subpar on focus ?

All things compared the X-E3 with the 35 F/2 is a very good AF combo. If you are in wide area try single point. If you are in AF-C try AF-S. This should very accurate.
Test and try different approaches. I think you will find in a very short time if it is for you or not.

Back