Fuji XE3 Arrived!

Hope you don't mind if I take this topic a little sideways

I've got an X-E3 with the 35mm f2 as a backup to my Ricoh GR. The first batch of 30 odd images are mostly disappointingly missed focus. A few hit the mark. I am unsure if its operator error as the 50mm equiv would demand more care than the 28mm equiv on the GR. Initially I am tempted to jump ship to a Sony A7 and a Loxia and go fully manual focus. This would take me back to my OM4 and Zuiko lens days. That combo would do nicely for some tripod work.

I suppose I should do some careful tests to ensure its not the hardware and is all about my poor technique. I also bought the combo as I was missing the look of 50mm equiv images. I will examine firmware also. Sometimes it is the gears fault.

I am curious to the OP as to if any images made initially were subpar on focus ?

I haven't had any autofocus issues whatsoever with the XE3. My settings, should you choose to try and replicate it when testing:

- AFS
- Focus point size is about 1 click up from the minimum box size (ie, small)
- Camera is not in High Performance mode
- Lenses used so far: 23 f2, 35 f1.4, 56 f1.2, XF18-55

A recent example of "gut feel" on the focus performance... I just shot a wedding with only the XE3, the 23 f2, the rokinon 12mm f2, and the 56 f1.2. Easily 90% of the shots were on the 56. Rehearsal day + wedding day start to finish, I wound up with about 1,500 images in the can. Of those ~1,500, I culled something like 5 or 6 because the camera blew the focus. Much more common was slight camera shake from shooting hand held at 56mm and ~1/60 of a second -- but the AF had the right distance locked in.

I also tend to get focus, then lock it when my subjects aren't moving (like during a wedding ceremony, when everyone up there is standing still as a statue for minutes at a time). But moving shots were no issue for it.

I’ve been using the XE3 with the new (again) 27. I shoot a lot of trees and so far the CAF tracking is dead on. :rofl: I love B&W on the bare and subdued winter landscapes and the Acros simulation is great. I’ve been posting jpegs so far although I do have an Irident developer that I need to try again. I wish it had a tilt screen but I’m really happy so far.

Now that I have the XT1 (repaired) back, last night standing around the dim kitchen I compared them with the old 35 f1.4 lens. The XE3's autofus speed was much faster, over and over again. The XT1 wasn't SLOW, per se, but the XE3 was a lot faster.

Last edited:
I started in the opposite way. I bought a pristine black X-E2 from a friend locally. It had the 18-55. I found a Fuji grip for it, a LensMate thumb grip and the 35/2. Now it feels good in my hand. So good that I bought an XPRO2 a week or so later. They're certainly different, but equally nice in their own right. I appreciate the smaller X-E2, but also love the heft of the XPRO2.

What would I gain in an X-E3? I updated the firmware to make it almost an X-E2s, what else would be improved?

These Fujis are like I remember cameras feeling back when I learned photography. Little by little, most everything became plastic, but when you pick up a Fuji it is just a wonderful mechanical device. Even the lenses are dreamy. I now have those two bodies, the kit zoom 18-55 (some kit zoom!!), the 35/2, 50/2, 55-200 and two EFX500 flashes. I have a Fuji sickness. Shooting a little more soon, not much time while in school all day (I'm a teacher.). All of this has been preparing for a trip to Cuba in June. I want a stellar small, lightweight kit and I think this will be it.

Last edited:
“What would I gain in an X-E3? I updated the firmware to make it almost an X-E2s, what else would be improved?”

I wouldn’t advocate for upgrading an XE2 to an XE3, necessarily. I’m not sure the differences are big enough, but …

- Touch screen. I hated it until I turned off the ability to tap for focus, and now it’s just how I change shutter type (swipe up) or launch wifi (swipe left). It’s not all that helpful to be honest. Huge potential to annoy, mild potential to help, must be carefully limited in menu options or you’ll throw the camera in a ditch when the AF point jumps (and locks) the 15th time because your nose got near the LCD.

- AF Speed. This one might be enough to upgrade. It’s noticeably, usably faster than an XT1, on all lenses, especially in the dark. I’d say if you’re happy with the XE2 then DO NOT try out an XE3 or XT3. Like letting a housecat outside once… now he knows what else he could be having, and won’t be happy inside.

- Film Simulations. Meh. Some are cool and all, but really that’s not a reason to spend $850. The basics on the XE2 are what I mostly use anyway.

- That AUTO switch up top. I only like it because my wife and 9 yr old daughter like to grab my camera and shoot, and I love that they do. And they love not being stuck with Daddy’s full-manual settings. -Flick- and it’s on auto. -Flick- and it’s back where I like it.

I don’t know if there’s much else to mention. That AF speed (and general speed of everything… wake up, card write, etc) is pretty big. But if your current ones work, you’re all set. Hang out 2 more years, and pick up a used XT2, XT3, XE3, etc. for $500.

“What would I gain in an X-E3? I updated the firmware to make it almost an X-E2s, what else would be improved?”

I wouldn’t advocate for upgrading an XE2 to an XE3, necessarily. I’m not sure the differences are big enough, but …

- Touch screen. I hated it until I turned off the ability to tap for focus, and now it’s just how I change shutter type (swipe up) or launch wifi (swipe left). It’s not all that helpful to be honest. Huge potential to annoy, mild potential to help, must be carefully limited in menu options or you’ll throw the camera in a ditch when the AF point jumps (and locks) the 15th time because your nose got near the LCD.

- AF Speed. This one might be enough to upgrade. It’s noticeably, usably faster than an XT1, on all lenses, especially in the dark. I’d say if you’re happy with the XE2 then DO NOT try out an XE3 or XT3. Like letting a housecat outside once… now he knows what else he could be having, and won’t be happy inside.

- Film Simulations. Meh. Some are cool and all, but really that’s not a reason to spend $850. The basics on the XE2 are what I mostly use anyway.

- That AUTO switch up top. I only like it because my wife and 9 yr old daughter like to grab my camera and shoot, and I love that they do. And they love not being stuck with Daddy’s full-manual settings. -Flick- and it’s on auto. -Flick- and it’s back where I like it.

I don’t know if there’s much else to mention. That AF speed (and general speed of everything… wake up, card write, etc) is pretty big. But if your current ones work, you’re all set. Hang out 2 more years, and pick up a used XT2, XT3, XE3, etc. for $500.
You nailed the touchscreen description. Unfortunately.

Back