Fuji XF 16mm F1.4 R WR announced today

Finally. I've got the money saved, but I'll probably have to wait til after our trip to Africa in a month, since they don't say when it will ship other than "May."

The lens is looking good. Question is 16/1.4 or 10-24/4 or 14/2.8?
For me, it's no question. I had the 14, and it was simultaneously too wide for my taste, AND often too slow indoors at night. Sharp as all get-out, though, just crazily tack-sharp. But faces get distorted anywhere near the corners. And the 10-24 is just too big and too slow for me. So the 16 is exactly what I'd want them to make if they had asked me. To each his own...

A while back this would've been my dream lens, but now I yearn for the drama of ultrawide (read: 12mm on FF). Still this lens is probably more all-round usable; 24 equivalent is still within the non-crazy range for most compositions, and that wide aperture opens up some real possibilities for wide angle shallow DOF shots, which I looooove. Also night skyshots should be awesome with this.

Still, if a compact 10mm f/2.8 were to be released for Fuji, I'd go for that in a heartbeat. The samyang 12/2 is also intriguing.

I'm glad to see this fast wide prime (wider than 28mm). Not too many in the mirrorless world. Fastest I can think of, prior to this Fuji, is the Oly 12/2.

I'm planning to order this. Selling my 14 and 18 to have this as my main wide angle. My 23 will be my main 'all-purpose' lens and my 35 for when I want a bit more isolation of my subject. I'm holding onto my 56 for now, but if I find I don't use it much - and I don't at present - then that's going too.

I do not know if my 18 is worth selling probably just put it along with one of my old Xpro1 in my camera display collection. At this point I am keeping my 14 because of it size, my 23 is ore shaky ground do to lack of use

Back