Fuji xf 56mm DoF scale

kossko

Hi

I wonder if the xf 56mm simple version or APD have the Depth of Field scale into the EVF just like the 18mm and 35mm primes.

Thanks

Having just done a quick test, it would seem FX 56R doesn't. The focus distance scale is there but no DoF showing!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have either 56mm but all of the Fuji cameras have an electronic DOF/Distance scale for AF and another one for MF. Both scales have to be turned on in Display Custom Settings by checking AF Distance Indicator and MF Distance Indicator. You can also select one to have the distance scale showing only in AF or MF. I checked the 56mm/90mm manual on-line and there is nothing indicating that either distance scale is disabled with these lenses. The only exception I know of is with the 14mm f2.8, 16mm f1.4, and 23mm f1.4 because these lenses have the AF/MF clutch with DOF/Distance scales engraved on the lens barrel; the MF Distance Indicator will not display in the LCD or EVF by design when the camera is set to MF. But the AF distance indicator works normally.

bs1946, I have just checked with my 23mm 1.4 and indeed a DoF scale definitely does show in the VF and the LCD, I haven't checked today but I'm sure the DoF scale is also displayed when using the 16mm 1.4!

bs1946, I have just checked with my 23mm 1.4 and indeed a DoF scale definitely does show in the VF and the LCD, I haven't checked today but I'm sure the DoF scale is also displayed when using the 16mm 1.4!

You will see the DISTANCE SCALE if you are in AF. Pull back the focus ring on your 23mm f1.4, you will be in MF and the scale will be gone. I have the 23mm f1.4 and the 14mm f2.8; works the same on both.

Nope I definitely see the DoF blue section of the distance scale and of course the blue section varies as you change the aperture. I will check with my 16mm later today and will post the result!

Happy new year!

PS just a thought do you have the manual focus scale ticked in the menus?

Just checked with my 16mm and with the same result, also the blue DoF scale appears on the focus scale when MF is selected on the body and not on the lens. I also see the DoF scale when if "Focus Assist" mode!

Check your Disp. Custom Settings and make sure that "manual distance scale" box is ticked! I'm using an X-T2 body

Mike, if you are using an X-T2 and now see the electronic manual DOF scale, then Fuji has changed the way the three lenses with the AF/MF clutch work with the new 24mp bodies. If you use the 14mm f2.8, 16mm f1.4, or 23mm f1.4 on a 16mp body like my X-E2, the electronic MF distance scale is disabled by design and Fuji states that right in the user's guide that comes with each lens. Since nobody mentioned which body they were using until your last post, the OP may or may not see the distance scale depending on which body he is using.

bs1946, that is a usual problem with some people asking questions in that not enough detail is provided leaving answers very difficult to give a sensible answer requiring a lot of back and forth to elicit some useful info! Also a sample image is always of help.

That said I'm not gagging to use the DoF scale, but I get a warm fuzzy feeling knowing that it is there. :2thumbs:

Back