Fuji XF 90mm f2 Rattle?

Dickie

Rookie
I just Got the 90mm .... i thought it was broken before i took it from the box.. an obvious rattle/clunk when moving the lens bac k and forth... mount the lens and power up and all is well.. wow what a lens.. is this normal? why isn't this described anywhere..

Thnx

When I tried one in the shop it did that and the resident Fuji expert said it was quite normal. Lovely lens too.
Thanks for that... its reassuring to hear. The lens when mounted and powered up fuctions superbly with bitingly sharp focus... just the noise takes some getting used to...

It's absolutely normal. There was a bit of confusion about this when the lens first came out; I reviewed it here: Fujinon 90mm f/2 R LM WR Review: Break out the piggy bank
A "rattle", to me, is a sharp metallic sound, and that's not what it is. What you feel, if you shake the lens, is the necessary play in the focussing mechanism, the quad linear motor introduced with the 90, of which Fuji says: "The XF90mmF2 R LM WR now uses a newly-developed Quad Linear Motor that delivers fast, accurate autofocus as fast as 0.14 seconds. The new linear motor is fast, quiet and accurate, and uses four magnets for higher torque and a high-speed autofocus that provides a more versatile shooting experience, allowing users to quickly react to subtle changes in a subject’s facial expression."

If you shake it like a Polaroid picture the result might be disconcerting, but it's perfectly normal.

Personally I think it's a mistake to sell a good lens with what feels and sounds like a loose part but Fuji no doubt know best.

Back